Record Mode: Jump

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Record Mode: Jump

Postby Merlin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi,

if not already planned, a record mode might called "Jump" (or Takes or Stacking etc.) could be implemented to improve groove and melody recording.
This record mode which is already in some other hosts jumps after recording a pattern ( Take or Part etc.) automatically to the next free pattern and so on. When the last pattern in Orion is reached record could be stopped or optional jumps back to the first pattern and would overwrite it and would then jump to next and overwrite it and so on.
Merlin
Regular

Re: Record Mode: Jump

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:18 pm

Merlin wrote:This record mode which is already in some other hosts jumps after recording a pattern ( Take or Part etc.) automatically to the next free pattern and so on

It already does that.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Merlin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:26 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:
Merlin wrote:This record mode which is already in some other hosts jumps after recording a pattern ( Take or Part etc.) automatically to the next free pattern and so on

It already does that.

Hi Hypna,

I have looked for that option in the manual but haven't found it.
How can this be done ( in pattern- and song - mode ) ? Or were can I find it explicit written ?
Thanks !
Last edited by Merlin on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merlin
Regular

Postby Merlin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:58 pm

Merlin wrote:
HYPNAGOGIA wrote:

It already does that.

Hi Hypna,

I have looked for that option but haven't found it.
How can this be done ( in pattern and song mode ) ? Or were can I find it explicit written ?
Thanks !

Ok,I have tested it in song mode, up to now I have only recorded in pattern mode and there it DOESN'T WORK, only in song mode what is already very good.
So please give us all the same in pattern mode.
Thanks ! :)
Merlin
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:49 pm

Merlin wrote:Ok,I have tested it in song mode, up to now I have only recorded in pattern mode and there it DOESN'T WORK, only in song mode what is already very good.

That is actually the only place it can work, and is all you actually need because of the playlist's versatility to handle multiple patterns. Instrument module isn't.

There are two reasons that prevents this to be possible:
1. In song mode, all patterns auto-expand during recording, for the duration of the recording.
2. In pattern mode, Orion doesn't know when to jump to the next pattern.

The two reasons clash in pattern mode, but are perfectly sustainable in song mode. If you have auto-expand, it won't jump to the next pattern when it reaches the end of the current one. If you have jump, it won't auto-expand like in song mode.
And please just don't say "put the switch in the options". Rich is trying to get rid of some already.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Merlin » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:55 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:
Merlin wrote:Ok,I have tested it in song mode, up to now I have only recorded in pattern mode and there it DOESN'T WORK, only in song mode what is already very good.

That is actually the only place it can work, and is all you actually need because of the playlist's versatility to handle multiple patterns. Instrument module isn't.

There are two reasons that prevents this to be possible:
1. In song mode, all patterns auto-expand during recording, for the duration of the recording.
2. In pattern mode, Orion doesn't know when to jump to the next pattern.

The two reasons clash in pattern mode, but are perfectly sustainable in song mode. If you have auto-expand, it won't jump to the next pattern when it reaches the end of the current one. If you have jump, it won't auto-expand like in song mode.
And please just don't say "put the switch in the options". Rich is trying to get rid of some already.

Thanks for reply !
So I use Song Mode for recording takes.
But I am wondering why it should not be possible for the software to remember the lenghts of a pattern in Pattern Mode in order to record in a take manner.
If, for example, the lenghts of a pattern in a generator is set to 32 and then start recording the sequencer could switch then to the next pattern with for shure also 32 as a lenghts of this pattern.
Merlin
Regular

Postby V/M » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:16 am

recording in pattern mode should be a loop.. this is, at least from my experience, pretty common behavior and can be very useful for recording percussion patterns. jumping to the next pattern would be weird. also, i don't like trusting software to automatically overwrite things.
V/M
Professional

Return to Wishlist