Wishlist Threads Poll

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Who thinks the separate threads for wishes and discussion has been successful?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:38 am

I do, it allowed for each suggestion to be thoroughly explored.
33%
I don't, almost none of the wishes were discussed at all.
67%

Total votes : 9

Re: Wishlist Threads Poll

Postby michl » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:52 pm

might be a good idea to talk to the devs which way they prefer to harvest requests!
michl
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:10 pm

the original thread was an experiment, it worked

wishes of any kind are pretty much wasted :wink:
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby bones » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:50 pm

Teksonik wrote:But then he'd have to go through a dozen or more separate threads....and if people aren't discussing wishes now what makes you think they will take time to vote for other user's wishes or discuss them any more in separate threads?

Firstly, separate threads mean that the wish will be in the title and a poll would allow you to see at a glance how popular (or otherwise) each one is. No need to wade through pages of useless junk, just read the title, maybe the first post to get an understanding, see the poll results and then move onto the next one. It is also a quick way to see how popular an idea is generally, allowing you to easily rank them by popularity.
If a wish gets no votes, then no-one cares. A poll will allow users who might not have sufficient confidence in their English skills to wade into a heated discussion to have a voice. I'm sure there are lots of users who would never make a comment that would vote for or against something.
So you'll have a dozen or more threads with no discussion and no votes. We've spent more time discussing the threads than we have their content..........

Easily ignored. OTOH, we have one thread with dozens of wishes and no discussion and, therefore, no idea what is popular and what is not. Then we have another thread where a few of those ideas have been discussed but no real way to work out whether lots of people are for or against it, or just the vocal minority. After all, there are only a handful of users participating in that thread and almost none of them are any of the people who posted on the other thread. There si a massive disconnect that makes it useless.
If we're talking about limited development time where only a certain number of FRs can be considered obviously everyone will vote for their own FRs and against others.......

Of course, that's the whole idea. Anyone who is pig-headed enough to think that an idea is better just because it is theirs will hopefully be overwhelmed by others who can be a little more objective. I sure as hell wouldn't put a suggestion of my own ahead of a better one from someone else. e.g. I'd vote for any good idea about improving automation over any other wish I can think of, even though I hardly use automation at all.
Maybe people don't want to discuss their Feature Requests for fear of being called an Idiot.........

Quite likely and a large part of the motivation for suggesting a different way for them to express themselves.
Teksonik wrote:The point being if the users here aren't discussing FRs now will having separate threads make a difference?

It will give them a voice without the need for discussion.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:38 pm

Kriminal wrote:wishes of any kind are pretty much wasted :wink:

I think that sums it up pretty well.....
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:44 pm

bones wrote:No need to wade through pages of useless junk,

You mean all four pages of the Wishlist page as opposed to a dozen or more separate threads....the 7 whole votes in this poll should give you an idea of the futility of even worrying about how many threads and what format, Polls, etc etc....
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby bones » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:18 pm

4 dozen pages is up to 60 posts. You have to read every one just to be sure you don't miss anything. Then you need to go to the discussion page and read up to 60 more posts that don't align in any way with the other 60 posts you just read and try to work out which of the 60 posts you read first are of interest to others and which ones you just wasted 15 minutes reading. OR you can open 12 separate threads and see which ones are worth looking at without reading a single post, simply by the weight of votes. The former is likely to take an hour or more, the latter a few minutes.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:14 pm

bones wrote:4 dozen pages is up to 60 posts

Where do you get 4 dozen pages? The Wishlist only thread has been open for almost a month and it's only 4 pages. Yes there might be 60 posts in that thread but if crap like this was left out:
bones wrote:You can remove my post as often as you like,

It would be considerably shorter...........The point is there aren't enough posts to even worry about what format they are in. Six of one Half Dozen of the other...not a big difference either way.......

Like I said we've already spent far more time discussing the threads that we have discussing the Feature Requests and no one who writes the code has bothered to say a word so......much ado about nothing really......
Teksonik
Godlike

Previous

Return to Wishlist