note indicator in piano roll

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: note indicator in piano roll

Postby jweissman » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:03 pm

This feature is excellently done in Mixcraft 6. The pianoroll file shows the note ON each strip, not only on the virtual keyboard. This allows me to read the MIDI file like I would a regular notated score, and not have to trace the cursor from the MIDI note back to the keyboard (notwithstanding that locations of C is ez to memorize). It's a great feature, and one reason I own Mixcraft as well as Orion.
jweissman
Novice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:39 pm

So... what's your wish?
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:21 pm

bones wrote:Are you really telling me you have to look at your controller to know what octave it is in?

Answer to a really old post I didn't see at the time.......I have a transpose function on my controller so it's not always the same note sent for the same key pressed.

Anyway this feature exists in other DAWS and it's really useful. I doubt very much that it will ever be added to Orion.......
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby bones » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:27 am

Do your controllers not tell you how far, and in which direction, they have been transposed? Mine do.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:52 pm

Oh yea there is an octave indicator but once I experienced the feature of note indicators in piano rolls I found it very useful and miss it when using Orion. Sometimes you actually have to experience something before you can formulate an opinion on whether it's useful or not....otherwise it's just conjecture......

But like I said I doubt this feature will ever see the light of day in Orion.Still it would be my second wish for the piano roll right after copy/paste at cursor.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby bones » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:19 am

It wouldn't matter to me because I can't imagine a scenario where I would have the PR open when I was playing.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:27 pm

So you never record your playing ?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby traumatek » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:36 am

This is funny - yet another user's wish attacked because a certain two or more people don't themselves like it!
traumatek
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:54 am

Every time I use Orion's Piano Roll I miss the instant visual feedback of Note On Indicators. It really is a useful function . :?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby kmatm » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:30 pm

I find that if I record (midi) with the piano roll open I get a bit of lag and stutter in the audio. So I never bother recording while viewing the piano roll.
kmatm
Apprentice

Postby Teksonik » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:26 pm

Really ? I never experience that...I always record with the PR open in Pattern Mode......
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby funky koval » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:28 pm

Me too! And yes a note indicator is a very useful feature.
funky koval
Regular

Postby YawJr » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:22 pm

Teksonik wrote:
origami wrote: But any visual help comes in handy. I don't see it useless, almost any daw I've tried has something like it. When you play your midi keyboard, you don't necessarily know the octave you're playing. At least I don't. If the key is highlighted in the piano roll is, frankly, quite useful.

Well it's just a wish anyway.

Bingo! +1 on this request. This is one of the things I miss from FL Studio, Reaper and Sonar X1.

I have been using Sonar X1 since v. 8 and I always thought that Midi Note On Indicator was not a part of Sonar's feature list. I accepted this and that was it, but now you say that Sonar X1 has this feature? Please, I use X1, tell me how it's done.
YawJr
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:24 am

As I said in my reply to your PM it looks like I am mistaken and Sonar X1 does not have note on indicators. I'd swear it did but maybe it was version 8.5 or I'm just mistaken altogether. I guess I just assumed that a program as complete as X1 would have such a simple and useful feature. It does have the feature that if you mouse click a note on the keyboard in the Piano Roll it will light up that note's lane all across the time line but that doesn't do any good when using a midi keyboard. Maybe that's where my confusion came in.......my apologies for the incorrect information.

I don't have any desire to upgrade to Sonar X2 even if they add the feature so it looks like I'll do without it there as well although I don't use X1 for sequencing very much like I do Orion.

That doesn't change the fact that I miss the Note On feature when using Orion for sequencing but it appears there's little chance of it ever being added so we'll just have to do without it here as well........

It's not a deal breaker but I do miss Note On indicators especially when dealing with chords........ :?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby mattox » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:35 am

X1 didn't have the ability, its X2 that has it.

That said I do fine it useful and would love to see it in Orion.
mattox
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Wishlist