Dune 3 - Question on backwards compatibility

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dune 3 - Question on backwards compatibility

Postby Spruce Moose » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:42 pm

Hi all - I have a question which I hope makes sense.

I am planning to upgrade from dune 2 to dune 3.

I have a lot of ableton projects where Dune 2 was used, if I upgrade to dune 3 when I open a project that previously used the Dune 2 synth will dune 3 open and play the same patch that dune 2 did?

Some of these tracks are almost finished with multiple instance Dune 2 performing of pad duties.

I have read from dune 3 manual that the patches are backwards compatible to that's all good so I'm hoping my old ableton projects will just open with Dune 3 instead of dune 2 if I upgrade.

Thanks in advance.
Spruce Moose
Novice

Re: Dune 3 - Question on backwards compatibility

Postby Christophe » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:39 pm

You will keep your Dune2 synth, you will have Dune2 and Dune3 in your plugin folder
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby Teksonik » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:49 pm

I had some old projects that used Dune 2 so even though I had Dune 3 installed I had to install 2 for those projects to open properly.

So to answer your question no, Dune 3 will not open in your old projects. You'll need to keep 2 installed.

Yes Dune 3 will read D2 patches but the plugins have different VST IDs so if your project used D2 it will load D2.

You can always swap them out in your projects and eventually you'll no longer need to have D2 installed.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Spruce Moose » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:34 pm

Brilliant!

That's good news as I already have dune 2 installed, that will mean I can buy and instill Dune 3 without worrying about my old projects not opening.

New projects I'll be using Dune 3 going forward.

Thanks again for the helpful replies.
Spruce Moose
Novice

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)