Trying to understand Obessions' filter

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Trying to understand Obessions' filter

Postby DonnieAlan » Sat May 08, 2021 3:17 pm

I bought Obession yesterday and was playing with it a lot last night. I'm not sure I quite get how the filter cutoffs work. When I set an init voice and select a waveform for osc 1 or2, if I dial up or back on the filter cutoff, nothing happens. But if I crank up the filter env first, then I can hear the cutoff making a difference (depending on which type of filter I selected). I don't think I've ever run into a filter control that quite works that way where you have to crank up the filter env to use the filter cutoff. Am I missing something?
DonnieAlan
Novice

Re: Trying to understand Obessions' filter

Postby Kriminal » Sat May 08, 2021 8:25 pm

yeah, it's a bit odd, but i cant remember how it works now.... :lol:
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Richard » Sun May 09, 2021 1:58 pm

DonnieAlan wrote:I bought Obession yesterday and was playing with it a lot last night. I'm not sure I quite get how the filter cutoffs work. When I set an init voice

Please use the Initialize Patch function, or select the Init Patch from the patch list. The Init Voice function has a different purpose, it resets the trimmers for a single voice only.

If you dabble with some existing patch, always be sure to check the back panel, as it may contain Cutoff modulation. Generally speaking, the filter cutoff parameter is the most heavily modulated parameter in synthesizers. Cutoff may react on Velocity, Aftertouch (Pressure), Envelopes, LFOs, or yet other modulation sources.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Kriminal » Sun May 09, 2021 3:10 pm

that's not what the problem is, it def doesn't work like a "normal" filter

i cant remember what the procedure was, but its a kooky thing takes a bit of getting used to.... I havent used it since release, so I've forgotten
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Richard » Sun May 09, 2021 4:17 pm

The range of the Cutoff knob (not to be confused with the filter's range) is more limited than in other synths. This is because Obsession is a hardware emulation, so the knob parameter ranges are the same as they are on the original. Conceptually, however, it works like any other synth- the filter envelope is added on top of the filter cutoff value.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Ingo Weidner » Sat May 15, 2021 11:14 am

With the mod matrix the range of both the Cutoff and the Resonance can be extended by assigning a "Const" modulation source to the Cutoff or Resonance amount.

In that case the Cutoff and Resonance values at the main GUI and in the mod matrix work in an "additive" manner.

The same "trick" work for extending the range of the Osc pulse width.
Ingo Weidner
Novice

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)