Dune 3(.52) arp and polyphony?

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dune 3(.52) arp and polyphony?

Postby Eternatease » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:12 am

Hi,

Attached is one of my Dune 3 fxp's.

My issue is that it seems like it is almost monophonic when I use it in Bitwig.
I play it as a two to four key chord in arp mode, and Dune only seems to play the lowest note, or the next note in the sequence, like it is monophonic.
I have set the polyphony to 16 and to 24, but no difference.
I am also sending 3 simultaneous controllers while I am playing my sequence on that same track.
Is it a data density issue? Or a poly issue?
I know Dune is fairly limited in its polyphony compared to a free VST like Spitfire Audio LABS, but I still think that I should be able to play more than one simultaneous key.
It's not like I am playing it on 1000 BPM and flooding Dune with data, I am using it at 121 BPM.
On a positive note: I like that Dune allows me to switch arp1 and arp2 inside a track :)

220128-064010-DD32 Ambient 2xArp Z7.zip

Bart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eternatease
Novice

Re: Dune 3(.52) arp and polyphony?

Postby Richard » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:31 pm

This has nothing to do with polyphony, it is related to the way the arp is configured here. Set to playback mode, it will use the lowest key, because this is precisely what this mode is supposed to do - it is intended to fire pre-made melodies, and this usually only makes sense monophonic (since playing back a melody on two or three keys at once obviously makes no sense, it would result in a cacophony). Set the arp to a different mode like up/down/up+down, and all your depressed keys will be considered. Another way is you turn off the arp completely to play freely polyphonic.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Re: Dune 3(.52) arp and polyphony?

Postby Teksonik » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:18 pm

I find it helps to have a fairly low velocity to volume amount on the settings page when playing the Arp even in simple Up/Down etc modes. High velocity numbers makes it easy for DUNE 3 to "miss" some note triggers. At least with my keyboards and playing style.

You can try it with the Init patch. Just increase the poly to 24 then activate Arp 1 in Up mode with zero velocity to volume amount on the setting page. Play for a awhile and then increase the velocity amount to 100.

Here at 100% the Arp does not play as fluidly as it does at zero velocity. Note triggers can be missed and the Arp starts to play oddly. You can see that the active voice count never gets near max so it's not a polyphony issue.

But again it may have to do with my playing style since no one else has mentioned it. It has been that way for a long time but I never mentioned it before. This post reminded me of the issue.
Teksonik
Godlike

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)