Trojan in Dune v3.53 windows installator [Solved]

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Trojan in Dune v3.53 windows installator [Solved]

Postby Tomarkus » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:28 pm

Hello,

I purchased a Dune 3 yesterday and today I wanted to install the Windows version on my workstation (Win11). As soon as I downloaded dune352win.zip from the website, Windows Defender detected and immediately deleted the file finding the following Trojan in it:

More information about this threat:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/th ... 2147735503

Is it false-positive? or are the installation files actually infected?

I'd like to ask for a reaction - not the best first experience for a new customer who just spent $179 to buy the plugin...
Tomarkus
Novice

Re: Trojan in Dune v3.53 windows installator

Postby Christophe » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:40 pm

no problem here with Windows Defender
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby Kriminal » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:48 pm

Where did you download it from?
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Tomarkus » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:57 pm

hmm, this is strange.

I have deleted Windows Defender detection history following this guide:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 5a3402d26a

and attempted to re-download the dune3 installator one more time, this is how it looks on my end (screen recording):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yWhXNq ... share_link

as you can see - I'm not making this up
Tomarkus
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:57 pm

No problems with Bitdefender Total Security either. I just ran the file through Virus Total and it scored a perfect 0/55. You can do the same.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload

D3 031623-2.png

It's a false positive most likely due to the level of security you have Windows Defender set to.

Synapse Audio has been around for almost 25 years so they are a trusted company.

Oh and I can't play your .mp4 file. It says I'm missing a codec. I have played countless of such videos without issue so I'm not sure what's going on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Teksonik on Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Tomarkus » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:58 pm

Kriminal wrote:Where did you download it from?

Directly from https://www.synapse-audio.com/service-downloads.html
Tomarkus
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:06 pm

Run the file through Virus Total and post a screenshot of the results as I did earlier.

Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Tomarkus » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:12 pm

Teksonik wrote:Synapse Audio has been around for almost 25 years so they are a trusted company.

Of course, I have full confidence in Synapse Audio and do not doubt their reputation.

Hacking into sites sometimes happens and sometimes and along with the application you can get a keylogger or a crypto miner as a freebie - that's the case I'm afraid of.

As for my Windows Defender, it runs on absolutely default settings and I have changed absolutely nothing.
Last edited by Tomarkus on Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomarkus
Novice

Postby Tomarkus » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:13 pm

Teksonik wrote:Oh and I can't play your .mp4 file. It says I'm missing a codec. I have played countless of such videos without issue so I'm not sure what's going on.

Here is the YT version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbtEbdH8qps
Tomarkus
Novice

Postby Tomarkus » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:21 pm

Teksonik wrote:Run the file through Virus Total and post a screenshot of the results as I did earlier.

This may not be easy since windows defender immediately removes the file from the hard drive, and I'd rather not add it to the exception since I'm not sure it's infected. But since you were able to check the version from the website and it's fine, maybe it's a false positive after all - but I hope my case is/will be an isolated one.
Tomarkus
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:24 pm

Tomarkus wrote:Hacking into sites sometimes happens and sometimes and along with the application you can get a keylogger or a crypto miner as a freebie - that's the case I'm afraid of.

Yes a supply chain hack is possible but I see no evidence of that happening in this case.

Tomarkus wrote:As for my Windows Defender, it runs on absolutely default settings and I have changed absolutely nothing.

I just scanned the .exe on my other system which does run Windows Defender and it passed.

Do you have "Controlled Folder Access" enabled in Defender? That's the only option I have turned off, all the other options are enabled.

No one else is reporting the issue yet and none of us can reproduce it so at this point it appears to be a false positive. I just downloaded the file again this morning so it should be up to date.

EDIT: OK I normally don't do this but I downloaded directly on my studio computer (I normally download on this system then move the files by USB stick) and Windows defender allowed the download to complete and then scanned the .zip file as clean.

So I don't know what's going on. You'd think that Windows Defender would react the same way to the same file. I assume you've tried to download again today?

My Defender definition file is 1.385.169.0 created on 15 March at 10:17pm

Anyway if you're still uneasy then you could send a support request to Synapse or wait for the owner Richard to post here.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Tomarkus » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:30 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Tomarkus wrote:Hacking into sites sometimes happens and sometimes and along with the application you can get a keylogger or a crypto miner as a freebie - that's the case I'm afraid of.

Yes a supply chain hack is possible but I see no evidence of that happening in this case.

Tomarkus wrote:As for my Windows Defender, it runs on absolutely default settings and I have changed absolutely nothing.

I just scanned the .exe on my other system which does run Windows Defender and it passed.

Do you have "Controlled Folder Access" enabled in Defender? That's the only option I have turned off, all the other options are enabled.

No one else is reporting the issue yet and none of us can reproduce it so at this point it appears to be a false positive. I just downloaded the file again this morning so it should be up to date.

EDIT: OK I normally don't do this but I downloaded directly on my studio computer (I normally download on this system then move the files by USB stick) and Windows defender allowed the download to complete and then scanned the .zip file as clean.

So I don't know what's going on. You'd think that Windows Defender would react the same way to the same file. I assume you've tried to download again today?

Anyway if you're still uneasy then you could send a support request to Synapse or wait for the owner Richard to post here.

I have "Controlled Folder Access" disabled as well, but since this is a fresh install of Win11, it is disabled... by default?

Just now I downloaded the file on my girlfriend's Win10 laptop without any issues from WD side - this is super weird since the WD version and virus definition files are the same. After this, I added an exception in Defender on my Audio Workstation, downloaded the file and installed it. Then, I ran a full scan - no issues were found. Looks like indeed this is a false positive.

Thank you Teksonik for the help and for the investigation!
Tomarkus
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:57 pm

No problem, I'm glad you got it working. 8)

Could it be an issue with Win 11? I'm still on Win 10 as well so maybe Win 11's WD is a bit more aggressive?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Richard » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:45 pm

The "Controlled Folder access" option in Windows Defender seems to give you a virus warning for just about anything you try to install, at least from our tests (except for Microsoft products I suppose). I don't know what the point is in having this option. Oddly enough, maybe 10-20% of the time it will allow an installer to complete, so it does not appear to be secure either.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)