Individual voice control in Dune

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Individual voice control in Dune

Postby steelcitysi » Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:11 am

Hello,

I am considering getting Dune 3 but I wanted to know if it has individual voice control like Obsession where each voice can differ from the others. Section 4.11 of the manual very briefly mentions the Voice Edit area that allows you to "select individual voices" but doesn't go into further detail. Is it possible in Dune 3 to edit it as if it was an Oberheim 8-voice? If so is there a limit to how many unique voice/synth pairs that can exist? My goal is to design sounds like as if it was an Oberheim 8-voice, but with a more modern voice module that goes beyond the SEM.

Thanks!
steelcitysi
Novice

Re: Individual voice control in Dune

Postby Kriminal » Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:56 am

Think of each layer as an individual synth. You can edit 8 layers to have very similar, or completely different sounds

So the answer is yes. You can select ALL and make you basic sound, then select each layer to tweak
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:28 pm

Yes Kriminal's explanation is perfect.

You can edit each voice (and the individual Oscs in each one) but the only difference I can see is that the voices won't "cycle" like the voice cards in an OB 8 voice. In DUNE 3 when you hit a key, all voices are triggered at the same time (but of course may not all sound at the time time due to envelope settings etc). But with proper modulation routing you should be able to accomplish whatever you wish.

I can say with great confidence based on many hundreds of hours of use that you can get analog sounds out of DUNE 3 that will make you forget all about the Oberheim. :mrgreen:

I love D3's analog sound so much I call it "Analog 2.0". It embodies the evolution of the analog sound to me and has an ultra high quality, high definition sound that I find very pleasing. I don't know what the magic sauce is but I can taste it here. :P

Just try the demo for yourself to see if you feel the same way. If you have any operational questions, post them here and we'll try to help.
Once you grasp a couple of simple concepts the workflow becomes very fast and intuitive. :)

steelcitysi wrote:If so is there a limit to how many unique voice/synth pairs that can exist? My goal is to design sounds like as if it was an Oberheim 8-voice, but with a more modern voice module that goes beyond the SEM.

In DUNE 3 "voices" are better labelled as "Voice Layers" rather than voices as in polyphony. As Kriminal explained, each Voice Layer is a complete synth.

So you have 8 complete synths with 2 FX Racks, 2 Arp/Seqs, 4 MSEG,3 LFOs etc. You can use a single one of those synths or 8 of them at once if you wish. D3 can go from the simplest analog patch to a complex multi-method sound with VA,WT,FM, and single Sample Oscs. 8)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby steelcitysi » Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:34 am

I played with the Dune 3 demo, it seems like the voice control is only for unison. What I am trying to achieve is more like what you could do with a Korg Monopoly or DSI Pro 2 where the polyphonic voices are rotating between different sounds. For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA1sJAPiD9Q??t=09m55s

I know per-voice offsets are popular for analog emulation but as the example above shows this has way more applications than imitating old synths. I usually set this up in Reaper with multiple instances of a VST, but I was hoping that Dune 3 would allow me to do this with a palette that stretches beyond an Oberheim, and in a more convenient manner
steelcitysi
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:34 am

No, that's not possible in D3
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:29 pm

steelcitysi wrote:it seems like the voice control is only for unison

That would be an incorrect assessment but as Kriminal said DUNE 3 does not cycle through voices like OBsession does.

Having made hundreds and hundreds of patches for DUNE 3 and having used multiple instances of it in almost every project over the last few years it's a function that I've ever missed.

DUNE 3 is a fantastic synth but it doesn't have every feature anyone could possibly imagine. No synth does. :wink:

So if I am reading correctly you want DUNE 3 to have a play mode that cycles through each voice? You hit the first key on your midi controller and voice layer 1 triggers, hit the next key voice 2 triggers and so on?

Ok I could see that being useful in sound design. We could make some pretty cools sounds with that feature but I don't have any idea if that mode could be added to DUNE 3 due to its architecture. Only Synapse could answer that technical question.

But yeah if that feature was added I would probably use it for some patches...... 8)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby steelcitysi » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:18 am

Teksonik wrote:DUNE 3 is a fantastic synth but it doesn't have every feature anyone could possibly imagine. No synth does. :wink:

I wasn't blindly making a feature request - Obsession and Dune 3 both have multiple voice edit buttons on the front panel and they are from the same manufacturer. Naturally I wondered if they worked similarly. .

Teksonik wrote:So if I am reading correctly you want DUNE 3 to have a play mode that cycles through each voice? You hit the first key on your midi controller and voice layer 1 triggers, hit the next key voice 2 triggers and so on?

Exactly. I don't know about you but I love those kinds of sounds. That Automatic Gainsay video I linked above where he starts playing chords and each note of every chord is voiced differently sent me down a rabbit hole of discovering sounds of this type. I still haven't emerged :-) In fact, many of us petitioned ASM to add this to Hydrasynth and we now have voice offset editing in version 2 it's amazing. It's starting to become not so much of a secret technique anymore haha
steelcitysi
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:20 pm

steelcitysi wrote:Obsession and Dune 3 both have multiple voice edit buttons on the front panel and they are from the same manufacturer. Naturally I wondered if they worked similarly

Yes they're both from the same developer but they are completely different synths in architecture. The difference being between Voices as in polyphony and Voice as in Layers in DUNE 3.

Again it would be up to Synapse to say if what you're asking would even be possible because of DUNE 3's architecture.

My point has been that while DUNE 3 may not have this function (at least for now) it's still an awesome synth capable of a very wide range of fantastic sounds. So to pass on it just because it can't do voice cycling like OBsession would be a mistake in my opinion.

So while I would use this function in some but not all patches it's just a matter of whether it's possible to implement.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:41 pm

Not at PC, but it may be possible using WTs.

If you use something like Random > WT position you would get a different sound on each note pressed. Maybe not as controllable depending on settings and which WT you use.

But for sure, if you want this type of feature/function, you would be better off with a dedicated emulation such as OBsession or similar, that allows editing of each voice card (not layer [voice] as per Dune)
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby zerocrossing » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:57 pm

steelcitysi wrote:I played with the Dune 3 demo, it seems like the voice control is only for unison. What I am trying to achieve is more like what you could do with a Korg Monopoly or DSI Pro 2 where the polyphonic voices are rotating between different sounds. For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA1sJAPiD9Q??t=09m55s

I know per-voice offsets are popular for analog emulation but as the example above shows this has way more applications than imitating old synths. I usually set this up in Reaper with multiple instances of a VST, but I was hoping that Dune 3 would allow me to do this with a palette that stretches beyond an Oberheim, and in a more convenient manner

Yeah, I think what we're asking for is that it works in unison and regular poly mode as well.
zerocrossing
Novice

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)