Rack Extensions

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Rack Extensions

Postby pedrocaetanos » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:09 pm

Hello

RM-1 Ring Modulator, AF-4 Analog Filter, and DC-2 Dual Chorus, are interesting Rack Extensions but they all lack an extremely important feature: presets! being able to save them, as well as a few nice factory presets.

Without presets I consider they should be free. Even with presets they are a bit on the expensive side, considering they are limited devices in terms of their funcionality.

It's not reasonable having to create combinators wrapping a simple device, to be able so save presets, with this level of price.

Thanks

PC
pedrocaetanos
Novice

Re: Rack Extensions

Postby Teksonik » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:40 pm

Hopefully Rich and or Marcin will be along shortly to address your concerns.....

At any rate welcome. Rich, Mark how about a Rack Extensions sub forum here? Maybe right after "Plugin Support (VST/AU)"? I don't know how many of us also own Reason so I don't think the general population here will be much help.......
Last edited by Teksonik on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:42 pm

pedrocaetanos wrote:Without presets I consider they should be free.

So, the actual price of an instrument/effect should be determined by it's preset availability/quantity/quality/whatever, and not hours/days/weeks of coding and hard work? Interesting.
I don't suppose iZotope will hear that their Maximizer is too expensive and should be free, or Softube for their $150 reverb.

Well, basically what Tek said. Just imagine the real price is 30% lower for what Props take.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:52 pm

presets? :lol:

if you cant tweak 2 or 3 knobs on really simple FX like these, youre in the wrong game.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby bones » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:21 am

Exactly! It probably says a lot about the skill level of the average Reason user.

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:So, the actual price of an instrument/effect should be determined by it's preset availability/quantity/quality/whatever, and not hours/days/weeks of coding and hard work? Interesting.

If you look at the most popular plugins, I'd suggest that is exactly how it goes. Even sound quality seems to take a back seat sometimes.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby mattox » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:54 am

Exactly! It probably says a lot about the skill level of the average Reason user.

Says a lot about the average music producer more likely.

Free because it has no presets? You have ears and a mouse to tweak, save a combie and you have a preset.

It's not reasonable having to create combinators wrapping a simple device, to be able so save presets, with this level of price.

How much would these devices cost if they were hardware? Hundreds of dollars? Just because its software you expect it to be cheap.
mattox
Regular

Postby pedrocaetanos » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:54 am

Do you all work for the customer disregard department? (thanks for the welcome Teksonik :) )
Isnt this the wishlist forum? am I missing something?
If you don't like Synapse doing reason rack extensions maybe you should bring that up as a wish on a different thread! :D

Don't you all SAVE presets?? no? getting back to minimoog times? write it on paper?

iZotope Maximizer is a great example! Costs the same as Synapse RM-1, packs a lot more features, and can anyone argue that it doesnt have top sound quality? why is RM-1 as expensive?

Anyway, this is wishlist forum, not demandinglist, so Synapse will do as they please... mind you: a complaining customer is a good customer, one that still considers buying... a bad one, will go away saying nothing, and might never return...

As for the reason versus vst-hosts thing, etc, etc, I don't do religious wars :)

Cheer up
pedrocaetanos
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:15 am

pedrocaetanos wrote:Do you all work for the customer disregard department? (thanks for the welcome Teksonik :) )
If you don't like Synapse doing reason rack extensions maybe you should bring that up as a wish on a different thread! :D

Don't you all SAVE presets?? no? getting back to minimoog times? write it on paper?

iZotope Maximizer is a great example! Costs the same as Synapse RM-1, packs a lot more features, and can anyone argue that it doesnt have top sound quality? why is RM-1 as expensive?

Anyway, this is wishlist forum, not demandinglist, so Synapse will do as they please... mind you: a complaining customer is a good customer, one that still considers buying... a bad one, will go away saying nothing, and might never return...

As for the reason versus vst-hosts thing, etc, etc, I don't do religious wars :)

Cheer up

i think the point is, with possibly the exception of the chorus, do you really need presets? the RM and Filter are the kind of FX you tweak as you insert them, specifically to suit the need of each sound you run thru it. Its not like they have a ton of knobs, slider and switched to get thru, the effect would be almost immediate.

i can understand presets would be useful for a very complex effect or a synth, but a filter with 3 knobs?

still, you're entitled to ask, and you'll have to wait and see what Rich says....and welcome to the forum :D
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Lance » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:21 pm

pedrocaetanos wrote:Do you all work for the customer disregard department? (thanks for the welcome Teksonik :) )

Cheer up

Welcome to the forum!

Some comment on the ring modulator by the developer:
viewtopic.php?p=100035#p100035
Lance
Guru

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:44 pm

bones wrote:If you look at the most popular plugins, I'd suggest that is exactly how it goes. Even sound quality seems to take a back seat sometimes.

Agree, just seems a bit silly to base a value of a plugin entirely on presets, even sillier to say it should be FREE because it doesn't have any; like no amount of work accounts to its worth in any way. That's sad if people really think that way.
I guess I would agree that presets can play valuable role for instruments, where they allow you to quickly hear how a synth sounds in shortest amount of time, plus can be a starting point for your own sounds in the composition, but not so much for effects, which usually tend to be quite straightforward - you insert them, tweak around and immediately hear how it interacts with the sound; not a rocket science at all.

We like to see Synapse expand to other markets. First it was Orion on Windows platform then VSTs. Then VSTs expanded to Mac versions, both 32 and 64-bit, both as VST and AU. So, why not RE. Won't go into why I don't like or use Props' closed ecosystem, I say to each their own, though I think I missed what exactly was your wish; for plugins to have presets or to be free? Or maybe both?

Different situations for instruments and effects. I'd think instruments require it more than effects that have 5 controls that you should be tailoring to the specifics of your sound needs.

Because it most likely has top sound quality too, and packs as much features suited for its domain. You're comparing two different things, each needing their own number of controls for what they do. It just happens that RM-1 needs less. Had Synapse made a limiter it would probably pack more features of its own, and in its own unique way. Anyone who has worked with either CV-82 Peak Compressor or RNA-160 Compressor/Limiter (http://www.synapse-audio.com/orioneffects.html) would say they really are great sounding plugins.
iZotope certainly has it's reputation built around the sound quality and with such can dictate the price, but why would it be impossible or even unthinkable for a smaller company with plugins of sound quality that is most likely in the same range should be valued less? Better sales maybe, but would that be a true reflection of the value? Unlikely.

Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Imagine that you're the sales person/cashier and you have customers coming to you just to complain that your prices are too high, while at the same time may or may not buy the product. Personally, if I was a cashier, I'd rather see (non) customer leave without words than a potential customer nagging me about the price. Take it or leave it, though if you do take it, you're guaranteed a satisfaction with a top notch product and superb customer care. I think that would work better than having rows of complaining people, and all that because of the price. I don't think many people walk into the store to buy a piece of clothing and then complain to the cashier about the price while they're holding it in their hands.

That's good to know. Welcome aboard :D
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:39 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote: Personally, if I was a cashier, I'd rather see (non) customer leave without words than a potential customer nagging me about the price.

The difference being this isn't our store and what we say may have an effect on the store's bottom line. Which is why I suggested a separate Rack Extensions sub forum so RE customers don't have to mingle with the general population. I think at least one of the regulars here owns Reason but I don't think the rest of us do so we can't be of any help to RE customers. I hope Rich took into consideration the additional customer service that will come from additional customers although this is the only comment from an RE customer so far. I know the beta team is always willing to help whenever possible with issues here on the forums but there's not much we can do for the new RE customer base. It's going to be up to Rich and Marcin to address those issues unless like I said there are some Orion/Dune/Synapse Vst users who also own Reason that would be willing and able to help with any technical questions etc.......

(I've edited my first post here)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby eXode » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:53 pm

pedrocaetanos wrote:Hello

RM-1 Ring Modulator, AF-4 Analog Filter, and DC-2 Dual Chorus, are interesting Rack Extensions but they all lack an extremely important feature: presets! being able to save them, as well as a few nice factory presets.

Without presets I consider they should be free. Even with presets they are a bit on the expensive side, considering they are limited devices in terms of their funcionality.

Thanks

PC

I really don't see the problem. These are simple devices that you would normally use as insert effects. If you MUST save the settings, you save them in a Combinator.

These are great sounding RE's and they shouldn't be free at all. If you don't like em, don't buy them. Simple as that.

A well respected Reason user that own the hardware filter and ring mod equivalent said that he would sell his hardware, that's how highly he thinks about those plugins.
eXode
Novice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:38 pm

Teksonik wrote:The difference being this isn't our store and what we say may have an effect on the store's bottom line. Which is why I suggested a separate Rack Extensions sub forum so RE customers don't have to mingle with the general population. I think at least one of the regulars here owns Reason but I don't think the rest of us do so we can't be of any help to RE customers. I hope Rich took into consideration the additional customer service that will come from additional customers although this is the only comment from an RE customer so far. I know the beta team is always willing to help whenever possible with issues here on the forums but there's not much we can do for the new RE customer base. It's going to be up to Rich and Marcin to address those issues unless like I said there are some Orion/Dune/Synapse Vst users who also own Reason that would be willing and able to help with any technical questions etc.......

No, of course, I agree, Tek. I don't claim any ownership over anything. I am, like yourself, here to provide help to anyone needing it, as much as I can. So, since I don't own Reason and RE plugins, I will cease my communication here. With my previous posts I didn't mean to attack on anyone for using Reason, and personally have no grudges against anyone. I just wanted to have a healthy debate about the price demands or even what really his wishes were.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby pedrocaetanos » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:43 am

I'm glad to see a great change in tone :D
I never expected my initial post to cause all this fuss and commotion - as a matter of fact I was expecting more to be ignored - I have to admit Synapse forum is lively... :)

I think I may have been misunderstood from the beginning. My comments were supposed to be constructive criticism - If I spend my time posting on the forum it's because I think the product(s) is good enough to deserve my attention.

I believe product can be improved and that's what I suggested (however good, there may always be some room for improvement :) ). I also believe product is a bit expensive in its market. Until now, the three effects have a rating of 4 stars while most other products have 5. Considering the sound quality that's strange - It could be because of the price tag versus functionality... and that's not just because of presets - they just don't do that much (altough I like their simplicity) - as Kriminal says: "Prices seem a bit steep for such simple devices".

That said, I have to agree that ring modulator and analog filter don't need presets that much (as already pointed out on the thread). And that the used comparation (Izotope Ozone) also doesn't have presets (but by the same logic, also doesn't needs them that much).

However, for the chorus, presets would be handy (and yes, I know Combinator can be a workaround, but it's an otherwise unnecessary complication). I was thinking about buying it (it has the most reasonable price), but not having preset capability is nagging me.

By the way: graphic interface is really great, one of the best.

eXode wrote:A well respected Reason user that own the hardware filter and ring mod equivalent said that he would sell his hardware, that's how highly he thinks about those plugins.

Is there a post with that on the props forum or somewhere? I'm curious about the details :)

Thanks
pedrocaetanos
Novice

Postby eXode » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:47 am

I can't find the original post now, just the one reffering to it. It's on the propellerhead user forum:

ryanharlin wrote:I hope he doesn't mind me speaking for him but I talked to Peff about his opinion of the Synapse stuff because he owns a couple Moogs and the Mooger Fooger pedals that are the hardware cousins these REs are based on. He said that they're so similar he's made comments on Facebook about selling his Mooger Foogers. He just doesn't need them anymore.

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/sho ... stcount=19
eXode
Novice

Next

Return to Wishlist