Dedicated Hardware Conroller

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dedicated Hardware Conroller

Postby fraz » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:45 am

Hi,

Dedicated hardware controller-cheap-n-cheerful-nice-n-small-Ableton live has the Akai APC 20, 40 - Novation do them as well-Nice idea but maybe harder to implement-USB

to control the mixer
little plastic models of the synths in Orion with controls for them

Take it with a pich of salt - :lol:
fraz
Regular

Re: Dedicated Hardware Conroller

Postby Junction-Earth » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:23 am

Orion controller-surface app for the iPad would be cool?

Not cheap, rather expensive, but versatile and completely renewable to keep pace with Orion-development... :D
Junction-Earth
Novice

Postby Junction-Earth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:43 pm

Googled and found some kind of modular controller app for iPad...
Looks kind of nice.

http://itunes.apple.com/en/app/tb-midi-stuff/id480953919?mt=8
Junction-Earth
Novice

Postby fraz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:27 am

Junction-Earth wrote:Orion controller-surface app for the iPad would be cool?

Not cheap, rather expensive, but versatile and completely renewable to keep pace with Orion-development... :D

Is this something that Synapse could easily do?
fraz
Regular

Postby fraz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:28 pm

To be more specific some custom controller for the channel mixer!-

Maybe it would only need to be one channel strip with all the controls on that could be highlighted specifically on one channel at a time and then all the controls would focus on the highlighted channel.

In this idea one channel strip would be small and not take up alot of deskspace but could access all mixer channels.

If the software wasn't going to undergo major changes then the little piece of hardware wouldn't get outdated-

If the software was going to change maybe the plastic controller could have snap on and snap off parts - sort of modular.

I think something well thought out could be implemented and be popular
fraz
Regular

Postby kmatm » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:14 pm

I don't know if Orions' customer base would be large enough to support a custom hardware controller.

There are plenty out there, I have a couple that replicate a mixer, and I don't use them with Orion now. It's easy enough to map the controls on the devices I do have now to what I need in Orion.
kmatm
Apprentice

Postby fraz » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:32 am

I was thinking of a small-ish dedicated controller - for all mixer setting controls - of course just the mouse can be used... :)

Korg Nano Kontrol is good for the fader, pan, mute/solo....all in small box - pity this idea can't be elaborated with eq controlls etc.... just a wish-
fraz
Regular

Postby Junction-Earth » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:43 am

Not cheap, rather expensive, but versatile and completely renewable to keep pace with Orion-development...

Is this something that Synapse could easily do?

I honestly don't know...
But since Orion recieves MIDI perfectly well it should work with any MIDI-oriented micro-controller.

The only controller I've used is keyboard and akai-pads... I just "link to next midi" from connected
controller. But, I haven't used any kind of extensive mapping of several physical knobs and sliders.

If someone on the forum uses a controlsurface of some kind, please share your experience...
Junction-Earth
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:14 am

I use an Axiom keyboard and Trigger Finger which gives me a total of 13 sliders, 12 knobs, 24 drum pads and a whole bunch of buttons. They all work perfectly in Orion. I do wish more things could be controlled in Orion like buttons to control Mixer Master Playlist show/hide by right click/link to next controller like the transport buttons.

For just the Mixer you could try finding a UC33e:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EVOUC33E

I'm not sure if they are sold new anymore but finding a second hand one fairly cheap shouldn't be impossible. :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Audinomaly » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Teksonik wrote:I use an Axiom keyboard and Trigger Finger which gives me a total of 13 sliders, 12 knobs, 24 drum pads and a whole bunch of buttons. They all work perfectly in Orion. I do wish more things could be controlled in Orion like buttons to control Mixer Master Playlist show/hide by right click/link to next controller like the transport buttons.

For just the Mixer you could try finding a UC33e:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EVOUC33E

I'm not sure if they are sold new anymore but finding a second hand one fairly cheap shouldn't be impossible. :)

+1 for the Trigger Finger. I've had the UC33e as well, but it ended up behaving oddly on a few occasions. For keys I added an Akai Synthstation 25 to give 2 octaves, pitch bend, mod wheel and transport controls. You can find them on eBay new for $35!
Weapons-Grade Awesome: www.jacobtalkington.com
Audinomaly
Regular

Postby warriorfullights » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:29 am

Same here. Trigger Finger +1 to that. Image
warriorfullights
Novice

Postby bones » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:34 am

Or wait three weeks and buy any of the dozen or more Windows 8 tablets that are waiting for Win8 to be released. That way you can cut out the middle man and just run Orion directly on your tablet. IN fact, that gives me a great idea - a tablet friendly skin for Orion could be very handy. Big, wide mixer strips for fat fingers to work on and things like that, specifically for using it live, rather than a full skin that would never fit on a small tablet screen anyway. For me it would only need a big, fat PLAY button. I am going to start a separate thread for it.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Return to Wishlist