Extract midi from all generator patterns from sfs file?

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Extract midi from all generator patterns from sfs file?

Postby UnderwaterRainbow » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:05 pm

I realize this is probably not widely sought after but i am seeking the option to save or rather extract midi patterns from an orion sfs file, with or without opening in orion. Is there a way to anaylze a sfs file outside orion? I have so many , thousands of sfs files,, mostly saving after minor changes, some rather old and am feeling nostalgic for all the lost precious midi melodies... Its impossible, a terrible, terrible, unbearable bother to open each sfs song file and write the patterns in song mode for all the patterns in a given generator, some full to the max- 64 plus, then merge or what not.. its a lengthy process to say the least.. can i expect any progress on this front??

On second thought I would settle for saving all patterns in generator to midi,, also add all patterns from a generator/synth etc.. to playlist in one click.. :cowboy: peace
UnderwaterRainbow
Novice

Re: Extract midi from all generator patterns from sfs file?

Postby bones » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:10 pm

I can't see any reason why Rich would waste precious development time on something like this.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby UnderwaterRainbow » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:44 pm

Because Rich values his customers time and input. . . for the sake of simplicity :roll: you probably wouldnt need it unless the tracks you create have alot of melodies, try hundreds or thousands of notes within 100s of different generator patterns spanning multiple synths.. :lol:
UnderwaterRainbow
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:56 pm

What would you do with the thousands of midi files once they were extracted? Load them back up? One by One? Seems like no matter what it's going to be a lengthy process but you never know Rich may like the idea. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby UnderwaterRainbow » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:24 am

Whats the alternative? Merge patterns so that I have 5-10 song size midi patterns 7-10 minutes long. what then open then in channels or slice them in orions playlist.....?? Orion V8 wouldnt handle this at all efficiently, this is quite an understatement. lol
If I wanted to select a 16/32/64/128 size melody to solo and paste in new pattern it would take awhile, then all the selecting the patterns and moving them so the melody starts at beginning of pattern. :lol:

Fl studio I could drag into channel, load into playlist, then slice away to hearts content, copy+ paste to new channel.. Nevertheless what I ask is a stretch. I liked the idea of opening a sfs file in program then export all midi via seconds opposed to... :shock:

Whats important most to me from a sfs file are the melodies, drums + fx etc are replaceable to a certain degree. :cowboy:
I could always take both options, merge all patterns and export all midi from generators depending on a track..
UnderwaterRainbow
Novice

Postby UnderwaterRainbow » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:02 am

Simply batch stream to midi all generators from the sfs file using the corresponding synth name in seperate folders. Furthermore, we could save the generators patterns to styles, preserving both preset and melody

export all the sfs generator patterns in midi and style format-- for style use in orion and midi use in any other daw with appropriate title designations to the folder..

Song-> Goa Melody God -> Generators = 1. sylenth/preset-tech synth/patterns/midi/style -> 2 Massive/preset-Dubstep bass/patterns/midi/style-> etc
UnderwaterRainbow
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:45 am

UnderwaterRainbow wrote:Simply batch stream to midi all generators from the sfs file using the corresponding synth name in seperate folders.

And then? Load all those midi files again? Into what? For example Orion generator settings would be useless in FL Studio. Do you remember what each pattern for each generator in every .sfs contains? If not you'll have to audition them again anyway to find the ones you want to keep and the ones that can be discarded.

I guess I just don't see what the advantage would be but I'm not opposed to the idea......just don't think I'd have any need for it here. But like I said all that matters is if Rich thinks it's a good idea.......... :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:14 pm

if they were that good you would have used them already.... :lol:
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby bones » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:04 am

That's exactly what I was thinking.

UnderwaterRainbow wrote:Because Rich values his customers time and input. . .

Yeah, ALL his customers, not just the one person in 12 or 13 years who has described a need for a very specific feature that no-one will get much use from. Unless you think his time would be better spent on this than improving automation?
for the sake of simplicity :roll: you probably wouldnt need it unless the tracks you create have alot of melodies, try hundreds or thousands of notes within 100s of different generator patterns spanning multiple synths.. :lol:

What makes melodies so special? I generally find them much easier to create than good, usable rhythms and they are definitely much easier to recreate. I chuck stuff out all the time, knowing that I can do it again at some later time if I need to.
UnderwaterRainbow wrote:Whats the alternative?

Throw them away. If you created them once and they are any good, you'll have no trouble doing it again. The thought that every little idea you've ever had is worth keeping is ridiculous. I probably throw out 90% or more of the things I start work on and of the things I keep, probably only 10% of that ever gets turned into a song. The rest sit in a folder for a few years until I eventually clean 'em out.
Fl studio I could drag into channel, load into playlist, then slice away to hearts content, copy+ paste to new channel.. Nevertheless what I ask is a stretch. I liked the idea of opening a sfs file in program then export all midi via seconds opposed to... :shock:

But, as Tek said, whatever you do with them, it is still going to be a massive job and then you will still have a huge amount of MIDI files instead of a huge number of SFS files. What's the difference? You can either merge the piece you need from an SFS or import a MIDI file? Where is the advantage in one over the other?
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Lance » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:04 pm

An SFS recovery/analyzing tool would be handy. Getting MIDIs out, generators used and such infos/data.

Corrupted/unopenable files use to happen many of us, and sadly Orion nowadays can't always open files made with earlier versions.
Lance
Guru

Postby dmassive » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:40 pm

I think the better way is give information about SFS Structure. And then 3rd party applications will come. :cowboy:
"Pleeease, bring back ORION!"
dmassive
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:34 pm

Someone made an sfs analizer years ago
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Kriminal wrote:Someone made an sfs analizer years ago

I think that might have been Jouni.
Mark

Postby Kriminal » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:24 am

Yeah thats it, couldnt think of his name.
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Lance » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:11 am

Jouni's Orion Analyzer was last updated in 2005, it's not useful for newer files, just checked again (no crash while loading files, first tab's basic info like tempo is there, but nothing more, no generator infos for example). And it has no MIDI extracting feature.
Lance
Guru

Next

Return to Wishlist