Wishlist 2012 Discussion (Sticky)

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Wishlist 2012 Discussion (Sticky)

Postby knechtodawas » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:07 am

I posted in the wishlist thread:
Make Orion more popular

Every second time when buying a new third party VST instrument/effect i run into issues with Orion. When contacting the plugin developer, they tell me, that they didn't test their software with Orion (when they even know Orion). Some developers send me a hot fix, others are trying to figure out a workaround, but most of them do nothing, because Orion is not important in their eyes. I know: My wish is out of touch with reality, but who knows... :wink:
knechtodawas
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:33 pm

I'm sure all efforts have been towards making Orion more popular. Why it's not more popular can be debated at length.

What plugins are you having problems with? I own dozens and dozens but rarely have any serious issues.

By the way good job using the Wishes Only thread to post your idea and then using this thread to further discussions. That's the way it was supposed to work. Well done. :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby knechtodawas » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:59 pm

Teksonik wrote:What plugins are you having problems with?

Currently I have a problem with the Vengeance multiband compressor. I already had problems with Vengeance products before which will fortunately be fixed by Vengeance and Synapse :). In addition the Play 3 engine (EastWest Orchestral stuff) does not work properly. With Izotope Stutter Edit I ran into several issues (some of them solved by workaround). Melodyne also works very unstable and does strange things.
knechtodawas
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:13 pm

Well that explains why I've never had any problems with them since I don't any of those plugins.......... :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby bones » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:32 pm

knechtodawas wrote:Every second time when buying a new third party VST instrument/effect i run into issues with Orion

Why do you keep buying new plugins? Are there such massive gaps in the tools provided in Orion and the plugins you already have? I haven't added a new instrument in several years now and, realistically, I've had everything I need for more than a decade. Most of the things I've added since then have been far more about improved usability than anything else. With Orion and a dozen or so plugins, I can do anything.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby knechtodawas » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:15 am

bones wrote:Why do you keep buying new plugins? Are there such massive gaps in the tools provided in Orion and the plugins you already have?

There basically are four groups of VSTs I buy:

1. Sometimes I do pure orchestral stuff. In my opinion there is no satisfying solution to do this with sound fonts and sampler only (regarding sound quality, functionality and usability). So I use dedicated plugins and libraries.
2. Orion contains high quality effects, but of course there are also some very specialized types of effects which are just not existent in Orion. Stutter Edit and Melodyne are such examples.
3. As you said yourself "improved usability" is also a reason for buying some plugins. The Vengeance plugins for example are very good in this regard. They can shorten many processes.
4. The synths in Orion are good but some sounds are more easily (or sometimes exclusively) achieved with third party synths.

bones wrote:With Orion and a dozen or so plugins, I can do anything.

My opinion. I own perhaps 14 plugins. But 40% of them are not working properly. Don't misunderstand me: I do not blame Synapse for this.
knechtodawas
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:53 pm

Vitaly wrote:I remember! Another proposal.
It will be good to have on board such a tool as "Spectrum Analyzer". A very necessary thing. :drool:
Thank you.

To be honest I'd rather any development time be spent on improving Orion's functionality rather than adding new plugins. There are just so many great plugins out there and so many are free. :)

Here's a great free Spectrum Analyzer:

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/span-by-voxengo

-----
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Vitaly » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:15 pm

Teksonik wrote: There are just so many great plugins out there and so many are free. :)
Here's a great free Spectrum Analyzer:
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/span-by-voxengo
-----

Thanks a lot. I will try. :D
Do not twist the handle, if you do not know why you need it!

https://soundcloud.com/vitaly_semenov_semjem
Vitaly
Regular

Postby warriorfullights » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:06 am

That works for me. The more plugins you use, the higher the rate of getting different types of problems. Image
warriorfullights
Novice

Postby El_Capitan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:05 pm

Teksonik wrote:I'm sure all efforts have been towards making Orion more popular

That made me laugh out loud. :lol:

At this point, for 2012, I'd simply like to see a list of things Synapse Audio plans for the next release (which seems more and more to be a 2013 thing).
El_Capitan
Regular

Postby Richard » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:31 pm

knechtodawas wrote:I posted in the wishlist thread:
Make Orion more popular

Every second time when buying a new third party VST instrument/effect i run into issues with Orion. When contacting the plugin developer, they tell me, that they didn't test their software with Orion (when they even know Orion).

It's a common issue, there's more than 300 VST hosts and over 5000 VST plugins out there (source: KVR database). This gives over a million possible combinations, which no developer can realistically test. Now given that other differences such as the operating system, 32- and 64-bit version etc matter as well, there's yet more possibilities. So only a small sub-set of combinations is actually tested. This is sufficient to get the majority of plugins and hosts to cooperate, but there'll always be some which just don't work together.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby knechtodawas » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:53 pm

Richard wrote:
knechtodawas wrote:It's a common issue, there's more than 300 VST hosts and over 5000 VST plugins out there (source: KVR database). This gives over a million possible combinations, which no developer can realistically test. Now given that other differences such as the operating system, 32- and 64-bit version etc matter as well, there's yet more possibilities. So only a small sub-set of combinations is actually tested. This is sufficient to get the majority of plugins and hosts to cooperate, but there'll always be some which just don't work together.

Hi Richard, of course I understand your point. Nobody can properly test all these combinations and there are VST incompatibility problems within all available hosts. However as a plugin developer you have to choose the most important of the 300 hosts for testing. And my experience was that many of the bigger developers (e.g. EastWest or Izotope) do not test their products with Orion. When I ran into problems I often heard the phrase "Orion is not a supported host". Hence my original post. I know that my post is kind of naive, I was just getting a little bit frustrated. :wink:

By the way: Will there be an update of Orion in 2013? Please answer, it's Christmas :xmas:.
knechtodawas
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:37 pm

Bring back the accurate automation switch... pretty please? :mrgreen: :xmas:
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Previous

Return to Wishlist