New Orion

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: New Orion

Postby Vitaly » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Kriminal wrote:You asked how many work for synapse....the answer is two.

Now I get it.
I am amazed!
Bravo!!!
Do not twist the handle, if you do not know why you need it!

https://soundcloud.com/vitaly_semenov_semjem
Vitaly
Regular

Postby Andy-b » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:53 pm

Kriminal wrote:I think for Orion to advance Rich would need to start from scratch, something he prob doesnt want to do. As it is Orion just gets patched up. I agree plugin developement has taken over, but you cant blame him for that.

I don't blame Richard,I think everyone must made a choice first or then,and if he think the Orion market it's to small to made a life from it,it's all his right to choose a different market approach.
Andy-b
Regular

Postby bones » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:31 am

I'm sure the money is nice but I think Richard is focussing on plugins because that is the kind of work he enjoys doing. If all anyone expected of an Orion update was great new effects and instruments, I think it would have a much higher priority from him. As it is, I don't think he has any interest in improving automation or tweaking non-DSP code just to make a handful of users happy (and an equal number less happy).

At the end of the day, though, who cares? Orion is a very mature product that is capable of doing anything anyone could want to do. Yes, there are definitely areas that could be improved but overall it is an extremely solid package that offers unique advantages over everything else out there. If you are not happy with v8.5, I can't imagine that you'd be happy with v9 or v10 or any newer version because it's all there now.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:24 am

bones wrote:is capable of doing anything anyone could want to do.

Wow you know what everyone could want to do ?

bones wrote:because it's all there now.

The size of Orion's user base after well over a decade would suggest otherwise....Obviously people use other DAWS for a reason.......... (yes I know you call Orion a Music Production Suite).

But having said that if Orion never got another update I could live with it as is...the last update was significant progress in my opinion. There are still some features I'd like to see added but none are real deal breakers for me.....others will no doubt disagree. I don't ask Orion to do anything but synth based electronic music. For my guitar stuff I prefer other apps simply because they are more suited to the task.....
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby knechtodawas » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:11 am

bones wrote: As it is, I don't think he has any interest in improving automation...

But someone should have interest in FIXING automation.
knechtodawas
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:15 am

knechtodawas wrote:But someone should have interest in FIXING automation.

In the state the automations currently are, could you explain what's broken?
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby knechtodawas » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:24 am

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:In the state the automations currently are, could you explain what's broken?

In short: Automations of effects are not moved when patterns are moved. Here is a detailed description of the problem:
http://forum.synapse-audio.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9011&start=0
knechtodawas
Regular

Postby suecae_sounds » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:10 pm

knechtodawas wrote:In short: Automations of effects are not moved when patterns are moved. [...]

I have experienced this issue as well. I do hope there will be a hotfix for this issue, coupled with any future release of Orion.
suecae_sounds
Apprentice

Postby junebug » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:16 pm

all i know is that ORION does EXACTLY what i need from a DAW, and is my one and only software in which i create ALL my music.

it's effortless for me to use, and i can't think of a single thing i need it to do that it can't do.
i've been an ORION user since it was merely a glorified drum machine, and the progress it's made over the years has been amazing.

i can't imagine having to learn a new software, as ORION does everything i need it to do, from sequencing - to using my live recordings in tracks.

i'm a DIE-HARD, plain and simple --
JUNEBUG
http://www.Electronisounds.com (my samples and loops website)
http://www.PrizmPrime.com (my original music)
https://pro.beatport.com/artist/prizm-prime/389343 (my tracks on BEATPORT)
junebug
Regular

Postby DaZoid » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:17 pm

Well,

1st of all: 8.5 is all I need. As I never get tired to say, it's you personal skill that is important, not the software.
Sure, other hosts have nice features, but I bet a good skilled person can create a pro track in a low level host other than a low skilled person in a studio worth hundreds of thousands of EUR.

2nd. Well, if one day Orion gets skipped ... Ableton is great and many producers and DJs switched to it away from Cubase. Cubase is way to overloaded and complicated.
DaZoid
Guru

Postby petersky » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:45 pm

The thing is, Orion does not need to radically transform. Orion needs only a few key changes and will be ideal tool - at least for me.
petersky
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:57 pm

DaZoid wrote:Sure, other hosts have nice features,

I could drive a nail in with the butt end of a screwdriver but if I have a hammer at my disposal it only makes sense to use it..... :wink:

I don't think anybody is asking for whole scale changes to Orion. It's pattern based workflow is unmatched in any software I've ever tried. It's still easier to get an idea down when using synths in Orion than any other DAW I own including Sonar X-1.

It seems like Automation is the most discussed subject. So that should probably get the most attention if there is another release version Orion......
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby funky koval » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:22 pm

For developing ideas quickly NOTHING touches Orion, not even Ableton Live. And yes the song automation system is by far the weakest aspect of the program. It's detached from the main playlist and with a lot of song automation(like volume fades etc.) sometimes I get completely lost, it's nice to have a quick glance at the envelopes on the playlist as the track is playing. That's when I move the project over to Live :D Track folders/groups, envelopes on the playlist, markers are nice things that make life easier, would be nice if Orion got them. Those and expanded live functionality would make it a killer alternative to something like Ableton Live.
funky koval
Regular

Postby traumatek » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:55 pm

'is capable of doing anything anyone could want to do.'

I also have to disagree

I want to be able to quickly take a loop, cut it up and rejig it around say

- no mp3 import
- no drag and drop
- the last slice end cannot be moved so the recreate in piano roll doesnt work nicely always
- there's no time stretch so samples sound jerky if using a slower bpm

That's just one example

I would agree that Orion is solid though and I still love it as my workhorse sequencer
traumatek
Regular

Postby junebug » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:43 pm

traumatek wrote:I want to be able to quickly take a loop, cut it up and rejig it around say

- no mp3 import
- no drag and drop
- the last slice end cannot be moved so the recreate in piano roll doesnt work nicely always
- there's no time stretch so samples sound jerky if using a slower bpm

That's just one example

all of these are do-able...
why would you want to use a low quality .mp3 to make hi-quality music?
i have no need for drag and drop....
you can manually adjust the end time on any slice by moving the release on the amplitude envelope to zero, and adjusting the legnth of your note...
use the above idea for making loops not sound jerky at a lower bpm, or play with the coarse tuning, or choose another sample...

:idea:
JUNEBUG
http://www.Electronisounds.com (my samples and loops website)
http://www.PrizmPrime.com (my original music)
https://pro.beatport.com/artist/prizm-prime/389343 (my tracks on BEATPORT)
junebug
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Wishlist