New EP - 'Series50'

Talk about music in general, share some inspiration or promote your music - anything goes.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: New EP - 'Series50'

Postby balistic » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:01 am

I do enjoy contemplating the idea that I'm a trendy youngster for liking a genre that's been around 20+ years. Makes me feel kind of youthful! I heard my first Moritz von Oswald track in 1994, at age 14 (on the 2nd Tresor compilation CD).

That I was able to find such a thing at a record store in Reno, Nevada still amazes me.
Brian "balistic" Prince
positive.future.funk
balistic
Regular

Postby kmatm » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:53 am

You were introduced to the genre a lot earlier than I was! I really only discovered decent dub techno and started getting into it about 2 years ago. Funnily enough one of the very first tracks I ever heard and liked was by a guy called Narcotic303 whose label I later had my first EP released on.

These are a couple of other favourites, it's interesting how some people enjoy getting lost in the sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0ryRU9ftT8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E5m0FNLHxk
kmatm
Apprentice

Postby kmatm » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:29 am

And by the way you've got some great art work on your website!
kmatm
Apprentice

Postby kmatm » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:40 am

A day early but here it is, the free / pay what you want version on Bandcamp :)

https://thedubfactory.bandcamp.com/album/series50
kmatm
Apprentice

Postby knechtodawas » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:28 am

Okay, I've to admid that I am not that much into dub techno (it is at the opposite side of the speed range compared to the music I hear normally ;)). But, your tracks have a nice overall sound and they are properly produced (maybe the vinyl effect is a little but too much). Congrats dude!

Concerning Teksoniks critique: Yes, this music is pretty much repetitive and it is rather simple with regard to harmony, melody etc. But I don't think these tracks where made in a few hours. There is definitely happening stuff during the track despite repeating the same pattern.
knechtodawas
Regular

Postby kmatm » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:46 am

knechtodawas wrote:Okay, I've to admid that I am not that much into dub techno (it is at the opposite side of the speed range compared to the music I hear normally ;)). But, your tracks have a nice overall sound and they are properly produced (maybe the vinyl effect is a little but too much). Congrats dude!

Concerning Teksoniks critique: Yes, this music is pretty much repetitive and it is rather simple with regard to harmony, melody etc. But I don't think these tracks where made in a few hours. There is definitely happening stuff during the track despite repeating the same pattern.

Thanks! :) I can assure you many hours were spent on the production. Everyone likes what they do / don't like - no problem. I used to be really into metal, and then more recently drum & bass which is also at the other end of the tempo scale from what I'm now doing.

Dub techno and it's sub-genres are introspective - take the time to get to know the track and you may find / lose yourself. Every genre has it's criticisms - the one I heard all the time about dnb was that almost constant (read: Repetitive and boring) amen break... but you wouldn't write off that entire genre because of it.
kmatm
Apprentice

Previous

Return to Music & Stuff