DAW PC Build suggestions

Talk about music in general, share some inspiration or promote your music - anything goes.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

DAW PC Build suggestions

Postby TheM1 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:10 am

Hi I am thinking of what kind of pc build would be best for music making. As of right now I have an ok pc but it limits my ability to make many virtual instrument layers in the DAW. So I want to either make a new pc or buy one that would work good for music making, anyone have any suggestions?
TheM1
Novice

Re: DAW PC Build suggestions

Postby bones » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:23 pm

Really? I use a Core i5 laptop CPU and I rarely get over 50% CPU usage, even in our most demanding songs. I just bought a new machine and I couldn't see the point in spending an extra $350 to get a Core i7. 10 or 15 years ago it was something I agonised over but not any more.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:57 pm

One thing to know about Bones is that he's perfected his workflow to the point where his most demanding songs don't utilize more than 10 or so channels - an optimization that is, actually, a good thing to strive to.

With that said, some things to consider.

If you're not going to deal with a lot of audio materials, you'll be fine with 8 GB as some minimum. If you are, aim for more.
Since you're doing synth works, processor will be of utmost importance. Depending on which synths you use, considering that majority are moving towards multi-core processing, I'd aim for more cores. A speed is also not something to neglect, but as a general rule, I wouldn't consider anything below 3 GHz.

For music production, those two things are the major players to consider. Everything else you can work with as long as it fits your budget.
Last edited by HYPNAGOGIA on Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby cosmicrain » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:30 pm

From me experience....

If u use old and many "|V|irtual analog synths" this crunching cpu resources....

if are analog replicas with 3-4 instances may I got a ridiculuw 60-75% of my cpu (8700)

In other Hand ,,,,,if u are use Kontakt sampler instruments ,,,,especially some large library's….u need 16Gb ram and some fast ssd loaded in to work with efficinen load times and everything run smooth.
cosmicrain
Novice

Postby bones » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:00 pm

I can run 3-4 instances of The Legend and my CPU doesn't get anywhere near 20%. Ditto for KORG PolySIx. Some analogue emulations might be poorly coded but the best ones are as CPU-efficient as anything else.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Christophe » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:40 pm

imho, go for the fastest cpu not the maximum core (or logical core)
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby Touch The Universe » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:56 am

Yes, as mark and others suggested, get the fastest cores. You can have 12 cores but as soon as even one of them is maxed out, you will get dropouts in audio. The easiest way to max out a core is to have a huge fx chain on a channel. Use sends as much as possible, bounce to audio anything that needs large fx chains. Turn any fx chains on the master off while mixing. If you have studio one, one can disable the all channels that aren't needed at the moment. With it, cpu is not an issue any more, though I'll probably grab the highest cpu speed I can next build. My uncle works for intel so I get half off :dance:
Check out our soundsets for Dune 3: Earthshine, Dream Worlds, and Harmonic Stars
Touch The Universe
Regular

Postby Christophe » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:19 pm

Touch The Universe wrote:Use sends as much as possible

i used to think that but i read recently that it's the contrary : a send will need to synchronize (and wait) all the channels using this send defeating the purpose of multicore processing.
in other words : since the Sends are part of a signal chain and not a second signal chain, you can overload the CPU
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ndling-FAQ
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby bones » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:09 pm

Here's a better idea - avoid long effects chains. Seriously, if an instrument needs more than a bit of EQ (mixer strip), reverb (send), delay (send) and one "character" effect - chorus, distortion, etc. - then you have to think that it's probably not the right sound, haven't you? Especially given that most VST instruments are chockas with on-board effects anyway.

I was looking through the songs we're getting ready for our next album and we're only using 5 or 6 effects per song (plus the channel EQ in Orion). The simpler you can keep your project, the easier it is to get it sounding exactly how you want it to sound. If you just keep adding stuff to try and fix things, you end up chasing your tail.
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby TheM1 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:44 pm

If you were going to buy a ready made pc what would it be? Do you know of any that would be good for music making? I can always add a graphics card later for video editing.. I am open to ideas. :-)
TheM1
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:36 am

Mine have all been "off the shelf" desktop pc's.

My current one is about 6 years old. Still good enough for audio.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Touch The Universe » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:00 pm

Have always bought a pc from dell. I cannot recommend them. To get quality that won't break down within a year, you probably need to spend 1500 minimum. If you can't spend this much, stay away!

I've had enough of dell, they aren't what they used to be. My next laptop will be from somewhere else, though I'm not quite sure. I'll even go MAC if it'll keep away from the garbage dell is dishing out.
Check out our soundsets for Dune 3: Earthshine, Dream Worlds, and Harmonic Stars
Touch The Universe
Regular

Postby bones » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:24 am

OTOH, I've never had any better experience than with Dell. To be fair, I've always spent more than $1500 because you definitely get what you pay for. You can get Dell stuff cheap, though. Just look on eBay for "dell refurbished" stuff. I got an XPS 13 for a grand less than a new one, with the full Dell warranty. It was in as-new condition. Of course, I'm talking laptops, I haven't owned a desktop computer in 12 years.
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Touch The Universe » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:21 am

I mostly get laptops through dell as well. I'd be much more eager to try somewhere else if I knew they would be more reliable, but there's no guarantee any of them would be any better. Won't know if I don't try though.
Touch The Universe
Regular

Postby bones » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:16 am

Whilst I've had a lot of Dell laptops, I've also had machines from Asus, Lenovo, Samsung, Sony, Microsoft and my new one is an Acer. They've all been very reliable and performed pretty much as expected.
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Next

Return to Music & Stuff