Dune 3 retina support

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Dune 3 retina support

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:48 pm

I'll just leave this here, so you all can see how this whole thing with skin sizes came to be.

Screen Shot 18-12-30 at 03.25 PM.PNG

It's not that there isn't a support for high resolution screens, but seems that, because MacOS does this resizing thing automatically, they should've started from 8K or even 10K to accommodate something that's in web design referred to as "@2x images". That, in itself, would've been a solution for this whole thing. You would get super-high resolution images that would be automatically scaled down by the OS to fit the 4K/5K space, basically resulting in a Huge skin with a high pixel density.

I can't say how easy it would be for Rich and Marcin to produce skin of that size. If they've used shapes and vectors, it might be just a thing of resize and export. If not, then it would need to be re-developed at higher resolution - which wouldn't be easy at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:08 pm

So why didn't Rich and/or Marcin or any of the sound designers, beta testers etc not report this issue early on ? Why are some Mac users reporting it and some are not ?

I don't really care since I'll never buy a Mac but out of general curiosity why aren't all Mac users complaining ? What condition exists on some systems and not others. Monitor size or GPU card or what ? :?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:18 pm

Teksonik wrote:So why didn't Rich and/or Marcin or any of the sound designers, beta testers etc not report this issue early on ?

I honestly don't know. I can only speak for myself, as I don't have a high resolution screen - I'm still on 1920x1080 and Default skin works fine for me.

Why are some Mac users reporting it and some are not ?

Probably because there's no fixed standard for Retina screens. The pixel density varies from 200 to over 300 ppi and is largely dependent on the device type and screen size - which is also why the screen resolution varies.
Different screen sizes have different resolutions.
Unlike regular PC monitors where you can have panels from 21.5" to 40" all having the same exact resolution, for Retina displays 12", 13", 15.6", 21.5" and 27" will all have different resolutions.

The solution is to make a skin for the biggest resolution for Retina displays and basically make it twice that size. Currently that's 27" 5K Retina with reported resolution of 5120×2880. That means, to get pixel density that's 4 times higher, you need a skin that will work for a 10,240 x 5760 resolution. From there, the OS will handle the resizing of it.

I don't really care since I'll never buy a Mac but out of general curiosity why aren't all Mac users complaining ? What condition exists on some systems and not others. Monitor size or GPU card or what ? :?

I'm on the same page as you are.
I'm guessing size and type. Maybe not all use the latest devices with Retina screens. Also, sizes play a role, as this effect can be more observant on one size than on the other.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby goober » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:25 pm

I don't know how Windows handles these skins, but on Mac they are not optimized for high resolution, as I've tried to explain. Why? I don't know. Maybe the developers were only concerned with going up to HD, or maybe they overlooked it on Mac. Other companies have addressed this, like u-he, Sugar Bytes, Ableton, and even Apple on Logic Pro. It seems to be the standard more or less at this point, as I don't see too many plugins not made for high resolution, though I admittedly don't try them all.

As I have noted, even just taking the Huge skin and fitting it into the Default window size would be an improvement. That's all I'm hoping for in the end.
goober
Novice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:54 pm

goober wrote:I don't know how Windows handles these skins...

It handles them exactly as they are made.
There is no scaling/resizing unless you do it yourself by upping the scaling on the OS level.

Screen Shot 18-12-30 at 10.39 PM.PNG

As I have noted, even just taking the Huge skin and fitting it into the Default window size would be an improvement. That's all I'm hoping for in the end.

But that's what you have.
If you've missed Richard's post, the entire UI for DUNE3 was made to work on 5K resolution, and then it was scaled down for other sizes. That way, you get the best possible look across the board.

What they should do is make images twice bigger. That way, when the UI is scaled down by the OS, you get a proper size with higher pixel count than they have right now - thus retaining the quality.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Touch The Universe » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:22 pm

Why not just redo the text part only since that is what looks the worst. Scaling images can get away with more but text, not so much :?
Check out our soundsets for Dune 3: Earthshine, Dream Worlds, and Harmonic Stars
Touch The Universe
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:04 pm

I guess we'll see what Rich and Marcin will do about this, should they choose to do anything about it.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby goober » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:28 am

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:If you've missed Richard's post, the entire UI for DUNE3 was made to work on 5K resolution, and then it was scaled down for other sizes. That way, you get the best possible look across the board.

That's not the way it works. If you look in the folder where all the images are, the images are different sizes according to the skin, so the Huge folder has the biggest, etc. So using a smaller skin means you get images that are simply smaller. It doesn't help with how crisp they are.

As I have explained a few times here now, they need to take the largest images and then fit them into the default window size, rather than having the window bigger for the bigger skins. The picture I posted shows this.

What I did for that picture is open Dune 3 with the default skin, then opened the Huge image with the photo Preview app in Mac OS zooming it down to match the size of the default skin. It simulates taking a larger image and then fitting it into a smaller amount of screen space.
Last edited by goober on Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
goober
Novice

Postby goober » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:29 am

Touch The Universe wrote:Why not just redo the text part only since that is what looks the worst. Scaling images can get away with more but text, not so much :?

The text is pretty much all that needs to be addressed, and like I say I think even just taking the Huge images and fitting them into the Default skin would do the trick.
goober
Novice

Postby Richard » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:17 am

We are working on it :)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby bones » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:30 pm

goober wrote:On the Synapse website is says Dune 3 is now updated to HD. Apple's high resolution screens are considered UHD. Maybe the developers thought one upgrade is enough, who knows. Bottom line is it's not optimized for a 4K iMac.

If that's true, then the problem must lie with Apple because it looks just grand on a 4k PC display.
I'm using the default settings for the iMac display, not a scaled setting. Scaled setting won't make a difference.

The default setting would be 200% scaling.

Dune 3 HiRes.png

The top is Dune 3 on a 4K iMac with the Default skin, the bottom is the skin image taken from the Huge skin folder. As you can see, a significant difference.

Ah, some progress! As you can see, the image itself looks great so it is now obvious that the problem is that the iMac is ruining it when trying to scale it. Clearly an Apple/macOS problem, not an issue with the original files.
What needs to happen is they need to take the Huge skin images and fit them into the Default skin screen space, at least. If they can make even bigger images than the ones used for Huge, and fit them into the Default skin screen space, that would be even better.

How will that work if macOS is going to turn them into mush anyway? In any event, I'm pretty sure that's how they've done it anyway - taken their 5k working file and exported it at different sizes, so all from the same massive master file. Here is how those same two elements look on my PC display -
As you can see, they look pretty much the same. In fact, I doubt you can even tell which is the screen grab and which is from the skin folder. (I exported them as a PNG so there wouldn't be any additional compression artifacts.) So Windows is scaling things beautifully, therefore the problem almost certainly lies within macOS, not in anything Synapse have or haven't done. That's just common sense.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby bones » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:48 pm

goober wrote:As I have explained a few times here now, they need to take the largest images and then fit them into the default window size, rather than having the window bigger for the bigger skins. The picture I posted shows this.

Computers don't work like that. Look at the two images below, one is half the size of the other but saved at twice the resolution. By your reckoning it should look crisper, yet the computer doesn't care what the resolution is, only what the pixel dimensions of it are, which is why both images are rendered at exactly the same size.

Maybe there is a programming thing to allow macOS to do the same bucketing thing that iOS does but otherwise what you're asking for can't be done.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby bones » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:49 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:I'll just leave this here, so you all can see how this whole thing with skin sizes came to be.
It's not that there isn't a support for high resolution screens, but seems that, because MacOS does this resizing thing automatically, they should've started from 8K or even 10K to accommodate something that's in web design referred to as "@2x images". That, in itself, would've been a solution for this whole thing. You would get super-high resolution images that would be automatically scaled down by the OS to fit the 4K/5K space, basically resulting in a Huge skin with a high pixel density.

No, that would not have made any difference at all to the end result. Nobody runs their 5k iMac at 100% scaling. Nobody. At that resolution the mouse cursor is too small to see. If you have a 5k Mac, it will almost certainly be running at 200% scaling, so your 5k image will look spectacular if scaled. (With 200% scaling, you reduce the size of the image to 50% of original.) The "@2x" and "@3x" is, I believe, iOS specific and probably not applicable to GUI design for macOS (but I could be wrong, I've never had to do any and I wouldn't bother for a website anyway). That said, there is possibly an equivalent image tag for these kinds of applications although, again, I don't see why I'd bother with it if I was designing something for myself. I'd be much more likely to simply change the anti-aliasing algorithm my software is using so that it is pin-sharp to start with.
HYPNAGOGIA wrote:
Teksonik wrote:So why didn't Rich and/or Marcin or any of the sound designers, beta testers etc not report this issue early on ?
Unlike regular PC monitors where you can have panels from 21.5" to 40" all having the same exact resolution, for Retina displays 12", 13", 15.6", 21.5" and 27" will all have different resolutions.

Yes, you can have that but you can also have screens that are the same size but have completely different resolutions. e.g. My old laptop had a 13.3" screen that was only 1366x768 but my last 13.3" laptop came with either a 1920x1080 screen or a higher res 2k screen. So, if anything, the problem is harder with PCs than with Macs.
The solution is to make a skin for the biggest resolution for Retina displays and basically make it twice that size. Currently that's 27" 5K Retina with reported resolution of 5120×2880. That means, to get pixel density that's 4 times higher, you need a skin that will work for a 10,240 x 5760 resolution. From there, the OS will handle the resizing of it.

Dude, you are completely wrong here. What happens at 100% scaling is one pixel equals one pixel. It won't matter how much bigger than that your image is, it won't look any different from the 5k version. In fact, it's likely to look worse because it will have to scale to fit in the available space. The whole 4x thing comes about because the OS is making everything look twice as big - twice as many pixels wide and twice as many high, so it uses four pixels to represent each pixel from the scaled output. This allows for sharper anti-aliasing, which may make your image look a teeny-weeny bit better.

I'm on the same page as you are.
I'm guessing size and type. Maybe not all use the latest devices with Retina screens. Also, sizes play a role, as this effect can be more observant on one size than on the other.[/quote]
I'm thinking that most users are smart enough to use a smaller skin on their scaled displays and that only a few nonces are trying to use the Huge skin.
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby goober » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:41 pm

bones wrote:Computers don't work like that.

You're talking strictly about raster imaging, completely ignoring vector, which is used very often with interfaces and web design (aka computers). The most prominent example are fonts. Do a search on raster versus vector and you can learn what I'm talking about.
goober
Novice

Postby goober » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:45 pm

Richard wrote:We are working on it :)

8)

The words I wanted to hear.

Thanks for letting us know.
goober
Novice

PreviousNext

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)