Can't open Orion!!

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Can't open Orion!!

Postby Kriminal » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:28 pm

Teksonik wrote:Not Orion ?

nope :wink:
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 am

Kriminal wrote:he installed a new MB, thats the problem.

Richard wrote:Orion does not care about Motherboard changes,

:wink:

Anyway his games are working and one assumes they use the same audio drivers.

But I'm sure he'll get Orion working eventually but then what ? Stuck in the past with a DAW that will never be updated ? (Does Orion support VST3 ? Can't get it to see them here).

Time to move on....... :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:12 pm

By the time Orion stops working completely for me, I'll probably stop making music altogether ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:52 pm

Teksonik wrote: Stuck in the past with a DAW that will never be updated ? (Does Orion support VST3 ? Can't get it to see them here).

Time to move on....... :wink:

stuck in the past? :lol:

stuck record more like :roll:

worked last year, works this year, will contunue to work.

if needs be I'll keep using the same pc, not a problem. Everything works perfectly. 8)
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:07 pm

Yes stuck with a feature set that will never change. A feature set that only inspired a handful of people to use Orion in the first place.

But if you never want to grow as an artist then stay with the same tools.

If you want to take advantage of new technology then yes it's time to move on....... :wink:

(and stop typing.....there is a difference between a synth and a DAW)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:17 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:By the time Orion stops working completely for me, I'll probably stop making music altogether ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's not just about working or not working but what you're working with.

If you never want to take advantage of new features and functions then stay with Orion. If you want to expand and update the set of tools you use to make music then move on.

Oh and it's entirely possible to use more than one DAW...... :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:40 pm

Teksonik wrote:Yes stuck with a feature set that will never change. A feature set that only inspired a handful of people to use Orion in the first place.

If you want to take advantage of new technology then yes it's time to move on....... :wink:

i can use lots of new tools, always do. Orion still pumps out midi, still loads all the fantastic plugins i have, still loads samples.... the feature set is exactly what i need. Cant think of a single thing i need. Nothing is missing that stops me making music, not one thing.

maybe you prefer chasing the next big thing or the emperor's new close, but i prefer to make music

It might not suit you, you may have moved on, i dont care. Telling other ppl what you think they should do is a diff matter. Keep your nose out, it's not your concern
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby bones » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:12 pm

He just likes to be a dick (and he's quite good at it). He also does guitars and stuff so I get why Orion might not be the best fit for him. Audio recording/editing was never a priority for Orion's development.
Teksonik wrote:Yes stuck with a feature set that will never change. A feature set that only inspired a handful of people to use Orion in the first place.

If people only look at the features, more fool them. If workflow isn't the no. 1 priority, then what people choose is irrelevant. Workflow isn't just for people who need to get things done, it facilitates creativity by providing the fewest barriers between our brain and a finished piece of music.

If Rich hadn't ended development, there is no doubt I would still be using it. It remains far and away the best host/sequencer software I have ever used, easily the best way to make the highest quality synth-based music. Cubase has its charms but it forces me to do things its way, where Orion gave me the flexibility to do things the way I wanted to work. No other host offers that.

Cheap shot. Most of the tools you use are plugins and you can vary those pretty much infinitely these days. That so many Orion users choose to use far more of the built-in instruments and effects than users of other hosts speaks to the quality of those inclusions, not to a lack of vision of its users.
(and stop typing.....there is a difference between a synth and a DAW)

Definitions are fluid. Back when we first joined KVR, for example, a DAW was the hardware computer you installed all your software on, not the software you use to host your plugins. Regardless of those definitions, Orion has always been a virtual studio, not a DAW. It has never tried to be all things to all people, just to do some of the most important things as well as possible.
Teksonik wrote:If you never want to take advantage of new features and functions then stay with Orion.

What new features and functions? Orion has all the tools anyone could possibly ever need for the vast majority of music the sorts of people who hang around forums like this make. I can guarantee you that I won't do more than scratch the surface when it comes to all the things Cubase can do, it's massive overkill for the way we work because it tries to be all things to all users. OTOH, with Orion I always felt like I was using at least most of it's features on a fairly regular basis. There has certainly never been a time when I thought "I wish Orion could do this thing that some other host can do". Not when I bought Bitwig and tried to work with that and not now that I am getting into Cubase.

Sure, it's not the most friendly thing if you want to record a lot of audio from external sources but if I add up all the extra hassle getting my vocals done involves, it would only be a tiny fraction compared to all the time and effort I save by using Orion for everything else. Even lately, recording 4 or 5 hardware synths or loading up a dozen or more stems to work on mixes for other people, Orion has worked as well as anything else.
If you want to expand and update the set of tools you use to make music then move on.

Or get some different plugins. After all, it's mostly plugins that make and modify the sound.
Oh and it's entirely possible to use more than one DAW...... :wink:

Yeah, and if none of them are Orion, you probably feel like you need to. OTOH, if you have Orion, it probably never seems like it would be worth the hassle.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:44 pm

EDIT: Never mind. Not worth it.

Good luck in the future boys. I wish you well and happy.
Teksonik
Godlike

Previous

Return to Bug Reports