Dune 3 retina support

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Dune 3 retina support

Postby Kriminal » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:38 pm

bones wrote:
goober wrote:On the Synapse website is says Dune 3 is now updated to HD. Apple's high resolution screens are considered UHD. Maybe the developers thought one upgrade is enough, who knows. Bottom line is it's not optimized for a 4K iMac.

If that's true, then the problem must lie with Apple because it looks just grand on a 4k PC display.
I'm using the default settings for the iMac display, not a scaled setting. Scaled setting won't make a difference.

The default setting would be 200% scaling.

Dune 3 HiRes.png

The top is Dune 3 on a 4K iMac with the Default skin, the bottom is the skin image taken from the Huge skin folder. As you can see, a significant difference.

Ah, some progress! As you can see, the image itself looks great so it is now obvious that the problem is that the iMac is ruining it when trying to scale it. Clearly an Apple/macOS problem, not an issue with the original files.
What needs to happen is they need to take the Huge skin images and fit them into the Default skin screen space, at least. If they can make even bigger images than the ones used for Huge, and fit them into the Default skin screen space, that would be even better.

How will that work if macOS is going to turn them into mush anyway? In any event, I'm pretty sure that's how they've done it anyway - taken their 5k working file and exported it at different sizes, so all from the same massive master file. Here is how those same two elements look on my PC display -
As you can see, they look pretty much the same. In fact, I doubt you can even tell which is the screen grab and which is from the skin folder. (I exported them as a PNG so there wouldn't be any additional compression artifacts.) So Windows is scaling things beautifully, therefore the problem almost certainly lies within macOS, not in anything Synapse have or haven't done. That's just common sense.

the bottom image has fuzziness around the text
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby bones » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:33 pm

Actually, they both do but you're right, the bottom one is from the screen shot. I bet you had to look very closely to see it, though.

goober wrote:
bones wrote:Computers don't work like that.

You're talking strictly about raster imaging, completely ignoring vector, which is used very often with interfaces and web design (aka computers). The most prominent example are fonts. Do a search on raster versus vector and you can learn what I'm talking about.

Of course I'm talking about raster, DUNE's skins are 99% raster. No point talking about something that doesn't apply. I've been doing this for a living since 1996, I don't think there is a lot anyone can teach me about raster v vector at this stage of my career. But what you're suggesting seems to be that Synapse should make a skin just for you because everyone else seems to be perfectly happy with the skins we have. Does that seem like a reasonable request to you? Honestly, when you get pushback like this and realise you are in a tiny minority on this issue, why wouldn't you just shrug your shoulders and move on? It's not like it makes even the tiniest difference to the function or purpose of the software, which is to make sound.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby JPFalcon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:50 pm

Please, bring Retina support to your software.
I just bought Dune 3 and I'm terribly disappointed because I thought the catchphrase "The best DUNE ever, now in Full HD!" meant that Dune 3 was Retina.

It's a shame, this synth sounds so good! Give it the UI it deserves.
JPFalcon
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:28 pm

dont worry, they are currently wasting all development time so the minority of users can get a pretty gui
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby JPFalcon » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:20 am

Wasting Time ?! You can't be serious. It's been years Apple discontinued non Retina Macbook Pro. Fonts are pretty unreadable on all recent Apple devices.
By the way I'm really happy to hear that the developers are spending time offering this incredible sounding synth an UI that can comply with computers of it's time. :D
JPFalcon
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:42 am

JPFalcon wrote:Wasting Time ?! You can't be serious.

deadly
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby bones » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:34 am

JPFalcon wrote:Wasting Time ?! You can't be serious. It's been years Apple discontinued non Retina Macbook Pro. Fonts are pretty unreadable on all recent Apple devices.
By the way I'm really happy to hear that the developers are spending time offering this incredible sounding synth an UI that can comply with computers of it's time. :D

Its ALWAYS had that, if you don't understand that, you're an idiot. A decent OS, like Windows, can handle all that on it's own. If a Mac can't, and my daily experience with 4k monitors on a MacPro says it absolutely cannot, then why on Earth would you put up with the hassle? And why would you expect someone else to fix the problem for you?

Your one chance to prove you are not a complete idiot, or that you absolutely are, is to explain to us the difference between a 27" 4k computer monitor and a 27" Retina Display. i.e. Why DUNE"s UI works perfectly well for normal people but Mac people have a problem.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby JPFalcon » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:02 pm

bones wrote:Its ALWAYS had that, if you don't understand that, you're an idiot. A decent OS, like Windows, can handle all that on it's own. If a Mac can't, and my daily experience with 4k monitors on a MacPro says it absolutely cannot, then why on Earth would you put up with the hassle? And why would you expect someone else to fix the problem for you?

Your one chance to prove you are not a complete idiot, or that you absolutely are, is to explain to us the difference between a 27" 4k computer monitor and a 27" Retina Display. i.e. Why DUNE"s UI works perfectly well for normal people but Mac people have a problem.

5634 posts ... Waow!
With so many remarks as intelligent as relevant on your part, this forum must be filled with captivating informations.
A real rocket science book

Thank you very much for your opinion, It was so helpful :)
JPFalcon
Novice

Postby bones » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:51 am

Thank you so much for proving to me that I was correct - you are an idiot. You need to understand that I spend 9 hours every day on a top of the line MacPro, I understand Macs as well as I understand PCs. Despite this, I have no idea what you are on about because when I open something like Photoshop or After Effects on my Mac at work, they are exactly the same as when I open them on my PC at home. So your continued bleating of "make a skin for Retina displays" makes absolutely no sense at all to me because "Retina display" is just an Apple marketing term with no real meaning. If DUNE 3 displays properly on a 4k PC monitor, then it will also display correctly on a 4k Apple monitor. If I was able to install plugins at work, I'd install DUNE to see for myself what the issue might be, or to show you that there is no issue, but I can't install anything on my work machine, so with the complete lack of useful information that 's been forthcoming from the people complaining, I am left to assume that you are all idiots who don't know what you're doing.
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby JPFalcon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:49 pm

Sure... I can easily understand. 9 hours a day is a long day of work, so you have to manage your excessive anger.
Some people do sports, others kill small animals.
You’ve proudly found your way of trolling around synths forums.

As I said, I can understand that.. what I can’t understand is why you keep arguing, as you don’t know shit about what you are saying.

You seem to be a nice dude, but I honestly dont have the time nor the required patience to teach you the basic differences between screen resolution and pixel density. Both are closely related but they remain different.
help yourself, google it like a smart ass that you are . :)
JPFalcon
Novice

Postby cedsoft » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi,

First, thanks for this amazing Synth.
It sounds and looks very nice (love the layering possibilities, top-notch FX, MSEG, etc.)

I've been lurking around this post for a while since I'd love to see retina support for this plugin.
Any news about its development status?

To be honest, the way it looks now is noticeably blurry on MacOS (on both MacBookPro and external 4K screen).
Specially amongst all other apps and plugins which are retina-ready (Ableton Live, Serum, Arturia V Collection & Pigments, etc.).
It just doesn't do justice to it's eye-candy/polished UI.

Having developed some iOS app with retina support few years ago, I can remember it was meant to make developers life easier (I guess for cross-platforms development, it doesn't).
Basically an app (or plugin) contains resources (images) in 2 versions:
- one standard resolution (eg: image.png)
- one "doubled" (or retina) resolution with @2x suffix (eg: image@2x.png)
If a device is retina-capable, it loads the doubled resolution picture (actually width and height are doubled, so it's 4x more pixels)

This have few benefits:
- uniformity: it keeps the exact same "aspect/size" amongst a retina & non-retina devices. With just a better resolution for retina screen.
- retro-compatibility: older devices only load low-res resources (preserving them from RAM/CPU/GPU impact) while newer devices can load hi-res resource.
- the x2 was easier to work on to make hi-res UI (no need for a calculator)

Can't wait to have news about this.

Thanks and keep up the great work!
cedsoft
Novice

Postby db3 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:07 pm

Retina support is finally here. :dance:
db3
Novice

Postby Richard » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:41 pm

Yep ;)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby JPFalcon » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:24 pm

We can now contemplate the superb user interface of this incredible synthesizer. A big thanks to the Synpase audio team for offering us such a masterpiece! It sound incredibly good, it's nice to use, I'm a happy user! :D :D :D
JPFalcon
Novice

Postby goober » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:23 am

Richard wrote:Yep ;)

Brilliant.

Thank you thank you thank you.... :dance: :mrgreen:

First Renoise 3.2 brings high resolution support, and now Dune 3.2. My two favorite pieces of music making software for desktop, both high resolution, both on 3.2.... What does it mean? 3.2? :shock:

Means I got me some great stuff to work with now. :cowboy:

Thanks again. :)
goober
Novice

PreviousNext

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)