Wavetable Sources

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Wavetable Sources

Postby DonnieAlan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:20 pm

For those who like to create their own WT's for use in Dune 3, I'm curious as to what you look for in selecting a source WAV file to create the WT. I know any WAV file can be imported and made into a WT. What I'm wondering is what characteristics you consider important or desirable when selecting a WAV file source to import to create the WT?
DonnieAlan
Novice

Re: Wavetable Sources

Postby Teksonik » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:40 pm

I tend to draw my own by hand. Others use the Formula function. But there are a ton of Waveforms out there to make your own tables such as the Adventure Kid Waveforms. Google will find more.

Mark sells a pack of a trillion Wavetables for like 10 bucks so you could most likely find anything you need or want in that collection.

As for waveforms found on the internet, many times you can't really tell what the waveform will sound like from the name so all you can do is load it and see what it sounds like. If you have a folder with hundreds of waveforms that could take a minute.

So look into making your own either by hand drawing or if you're more mathematically inclined than I am use the Formula function.

I always worry about using third party waveforms and wavetables that I may not have the rights to redistribute those waves in patches I may share or sell. Drawing my own guarantees I won't have any such issues but if you're only going to use the patches for yourself everything is fair game. . :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby DonnieAlan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:41 am

I've got plenty of waveforms already. I sometimes will create a patch from another VI from scratch, then record a few seconds of the sound and then import to D-3 WT editor and see what I've got.

But my question is really more about what sonic characteristics you look for in selecting a WAV you want to import to create a WT? Do certain sorts of waveforms tend to work better than others? That sort of thing is what I'm asking about.
DonnieAlan
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:23 am

Let's be honest, there is only so much information a single cycle waveform can hold so after awhile they all start falling into a few categories. Bell sounding, Clav sounding, Vaguely Voxish, Classic Saw Square etc.

So to answer your question I don't look for any particular "sonic characteristics". I'm looking for waveforms and wavetables that can make new sounds possible. I hope to create or load a waveform that I can use to make a good sounding patch. Nothing more nothing less.

"Do certain sorts of waveforms tend to work better than others?"

Depends on what you're trying to do. Want to make a Bell sound ? Make or Load a Bell sounding waveform.

In my opinion you're over thinking things. For me it's all about experimentation. If you're always looking for particular "sonic characteristics" you'll miss creating new sonic characteristics. Every time I hand draw a waveform I'm trying to make something that sounds new, not like the other waveforms I have. That's the true power of user waveforms. To push the range of sounds beyond the same old saw square sine etc. So to me it's about creation not recreation. :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby DonnieAlan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:51 pm

That's very helpful, thanks. You've confirmed a few things for me as well. I get there is no "one way" to do this.
Like you, I'm always trying for that something new and different. Appreciate the response.
DonnieAlan
Novice

Postby GRUMP » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:00 pm

DonnieAlan wrote:That's very helpful, thanks. You've confirmed a few things for me as well. I get there is no "one way" to do this.
Like you, I'm always trying for that something new and different. Appreciate the response.

"No none way" also means, that there is no "no one way". There´s often a best Practice for certain Sounds. Similar Results can often be achieved with other Methods, but definately not always.

A general Problem in Sound Design is, that you don´t know how to make certain Sounds before you have made them.

But back to your Question.

Some general Aspects:
- high Frequency Spectrum. They are hard to make, often unique and essential for the Filters.
- suitable for the Import in the WT Editor? Can be transformed?

The Rest depends on your Targets. Experience: the Results are often different in the End. Making a WT from a soft Korg Choir Pad will end in disappointing Results if you compare them with the Source Material - while you´ll maybe just stumple over interesting VOX Characteristics while just experimenting with folding and drawing Waves.

Let´s say it like this: any Source Material that is interestig for you and ends up in Inspiration to work on is suitable (if you import it the right way). But don´t expect Omnisphere-Sound from just one Wavetable. You are working with DUNE and have really unique Possibilities to layer Characteristics, to split and combine them any Way you want to.

It´s difficult to express in English ... sometimes I stumble over primitive Sounds that I absolutely don´t like, but they have a certain Type of "Noise", a Characteristic so I just start editing the SC Spectrum (mainly 1-20) and frequently end up with sth. I <3.

DUNE is perfect for that way to work. Streamlined and powerful but not an endless Black Hole.

cheers!
GRUMP
Novice

Return to Tips'n'tricks