Dune 3 Layer Mixer

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Dune 3 Layer Mixer

Postby Teksonik » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:41 pm

DonnieAlan wrote: would require some significant re-programming

That's my point. Is "significant" development time worth the few mouse clicks or few seconds you might save over the current system ?

I'd rather that time be spent on things that expand the sound of Dune 3.....more filters, more effects, the .sfz Osc from Zampler etc.

But that's just my opinion. No telling what Synapse has in store for the future. Perhaps a Layer Mixer is in the works as we speak.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:45 pm

Kriminal wrote:I dont think you understand

its nothing to do with the osc (that's all in the osc mixer section, same as it is now)

this is a mixer for All layers (vol, pan, s/m)

its just an easier way of changing those params instead of using the MM.

to clarify, the faders would be labelled L1, L2 etc

I'm trying to understand what you're after. The mock up only shows the Faders for one Osc. So to be useful you'd need the Faders from Layer 1 Osc 1, Layer 1 Osc 2, Layer 1 Osc 3 and so on.

There should be room on the lower section for a more comprehensive Mixer that could be left open with Focus when you're ....Mixing.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:49 pm

no no no

ignore the osc label under the fader, it's a cut/paste

it's a vol fader.... 8 layers, 8 faders

2 tabs, one for current single layer osc section, 1 for layer mixer
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:19 pm

So say you have Layer 1 with Osc 1 at 100% volume and Osc 2 at 50%. How will your Layer Mixer handle that ? Raising it will effectively ruin the relationship between Osc 1 and Osc 2's volume since Osc 1 can't go any higher. Same for Pan, if Osc 1 is panned hard left and Osc 2 hard right what will happen when you change the Pan on the Layer Mixer ?

Anyway I think our concepts are not too different. Both require Tabs I just think there is much more room on the bottom section than next to the current Osc Mixer.

Oh well Synapse will do what they think is best so all we can do is see what the future holds. I've seen recent requests for a more "Modern" Arp/Seq and requests for a Preset Browser so no telling what the priorities are at this point.

Once again I'd be happy to call Dune 3 finished and move on to something new..... :music:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:27 pm

Teksonik wrote:So say you have Layer 1 with Osc 1 at 100% volume and Osc 2 at 50%. How will your Layer Mixer handle that ? Raising it will effectively ruin the relationship between Osc 1 and Osc 2's volume since Osc 1 can't go any higher. Same for Pan, if Osc 1 is panned hard left and Osc 2 hard right what will happen when you change the Pan on the Layer Mixer ?

1. volume - osc values stay the same, layer volume will add/reduce layer volume, so if osc1 is at 75, osc 2 at 25, and Layer volume is 50%, the osc volumes will be relative to that

2. pan - if you are panning individual osc, you naturally wouldn't pan the layer

you can already do all this in the MM, but its more time consuming, and not as immediate as raising a fader and getting instant results

its pretty simple really.... and yes, i get you think D3 is done, others don't. This is the wishlist forum.

it was asked for in Jan, so prob no hope.... maybe its only newbies asking for drag modulation that counts these days :roll:
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:36 am

Kriminal wrote:1. volume - osc values stay the same, layer volume will add/reduce layer volume, so if osc1 is at 75, osc 2 at 25, and Layer volume is 50%, the osc volumes will be relative to that

But again what if Osc 1 is already at 100%, Osc 2 is at 60% and the Layer fader is at 50% ? Raising the Layer fader does what ?

I'm not against a Layer Mixer I'm just trying to figure out how it would work if it over rides the Osc volume.

Yes I get that this is the wishlist and if I'm allowed to have a wish like everyone else I wish that Synapse wouldn't waste any more precious development time tacking on minor features of convenience that don't expand the range of sounds D3 can make.

I'm a huge fan of Synapse synths so I'm far more interested in what's next more than I am in minor tweaks to Dune 3.

But like I said Synapse will do what they think is best so we'll see what the future holds.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:47 am

Teksonik wrote:
Kriminal wrote:1. volume - osc values stay the same, layer volume will add/reduce layer volume, so if osc1 is at 75, osc 2 at 25, and Layer volume is 50%, the osc volumes will be relative to that

But again what if Osc 1 is already at 100%, Osc 2 is at 60% and the Layer fader is at 50% ? Raising the Layer fader does what ?

works same way as master volume, or fader on mixer channel etc etc, it's all relative
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:51 am

I guess I'm just too stupid to figure out how the layer fader would handle the situation I described. If Osc 1 is already at 100% then raising the Layer Mixer Fader will make it go over 100% ?

The way I'm seeing it if Osc1 is at 100% and Osc2 is at 60% and you move the Layer Mixer Fader from 50% to 70% Osc 1 will stay at 100% and Osc 2 will go up to 80% thereby destroying the volume relationship between the two. Lowering the Layer Fader then would not restore the relationship but move all three Oscs the same amount.

Unless it makes Osc 1 go over 100% and that will just add another gain stage. Seems like it could get messy.

But good luck I hope you get what you're looking for in a future update. 8)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:26 pm

Teksonik wrote:I guess I'm just too stupid...

i wouldnt call you stupid, but its all about percentages and relativaty.... quite easy when you think about it.
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:37 pm

Kriminal wrote: its all about percentages and relativaty

Exactly the point I've been trying to drive home. A Master fader for each Layer would not preserve the relation between the three Oscs of each Layer when those Osc are at certain levels..... :wink:

But like I said good luck with the feature request. Maybe Rich will weigh in on the subject. In the meantime adjusting the level of each Layer in relation to each other is only a few mouse clicks away now and we already have Mute/Solo so........... :music:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:05 pm

Here is a really crude mockup of my concept. I cut and copied the mixer from above. You'd need separators between each Layer, Labels, and smaller faders but this way you'd have access to all three Oscs for each Layer. I don't think RM and Noise are that needed but others may disagree.

I can get about six layers across on the mock up even using the much too large faders from the top section. I think with a little massaging and narrower faders you could get all three Oscs for all 8 Layers on the bottom section that could be given focus when you're mixing and hidden when not needed. A Tab is a Tab no matter where it resides on the GUI.

Like I said there is plenty of room for new Tabs on the lower section by shrinking or removing the faux vents and it may be easier to add new content down there than redesigning the main page of the GUI but only Rich or Marcin would know what would be more work.

D3 102019-2.png

Anyway it's just a concept......... :cowboy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:31 pm

Here's a better mock up. Still crude and missing labels but it shows the concept. All 8 Layers across with room to spare which probably could be used for more separation and Layer labels....

D3 102019-4.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:02 pm

if you're not going to include RM and Noise, it's pretty pointless imo, and there is no overall layer volume, so....
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Kriminal » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:06 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Kriminal wrote: its all about percentages and relativaty

Exactly the point I've been trying to drive home. A Master fader for each Layer would not preserve the relation between the three Oscs of each Layer when those Osc are at certain levels..... :wink:

it does exactly that, and it's already poss in the MM, just not as fast and convenient as 8 faders visible at once.
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:23 pm

Kriminal wrote: it's already poss in the MM,

So nothing new just a GUI addition. Ok in the meantime while you're waiting you could create an INIT Patch and assign your Midi Controller Faders to the AMT. But caution the Mixer Volume destination allows you to drive the Oscs 1+2 beyond 100 Volume so it acts as an amplifier on Osc 1and 2 but it doesn't appear to have any effect on Osc 3 at all making it's usefulness questionable.

D3 102119-1.png

Anyway I just tossed together the mock up while waiting for the games to start. It's a much more comprehensive Mixer that could be adjusted to include a Layer Volume Tab and to include the RM and Noise faders although the current Mixer Volume destination does not affect Noise. Like I said there is plenty of space on the lower section.

I trust Synapse will do whatever they think is right. I imagine the list of feature requests is long enough to keep them busy for quite some time so good luck to everyone. I hope we all get our wishes granted........
Teksonik
Godlike

PreviousNext

Return to Wishlist