Bug in Dune or my Host (Digital Performer for Windows)

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Bug in Dune or my Host (Digital Performer for Windows)

Postby jsg » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:06 pm

Hi,

I installed Dune 3 on a Windows 10 machine and when DP does its VST examination it says Dune "failed". I overrode the failed plugin (Dune) and it seems to load and work OK, but DP still says it has failed the VST examination.

I don't know what's causing this.. Might anyone know?

Thanks,
Jerry
www.jerrygerber.com
jsg
Novice

Re: Bug in Dune or my Host (Digital Performer for Windows)

Postby Marcin » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:33 am

Are there any log files of the examination? Did you install both 32- and 64-bit versions of Dune 3? What is the exact version number of DP you use?

Note Dune 3 works well on our system with Digital Performer 9, no error pops up during scanning and the plugin works fine. So any additional information would be very useful :)
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Postby jsg » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:48 pm

Marcin wrote:Are there any log files of the examination? Did you install both 32- and 64-bit versions of Dune 3? What is the exact version number of DP you use?

Note Dune 3 works well on our system with Digital Performer 9, no error pops up during scanning and the plugin works fine. So any additional information would be very useful :)

The DP version is DP1010 83650 (latest version).

I do not see a DUNE.dll in the Program Files (386) folder, so I assume there is no 32-bit .dll installed. But I do remember the installation program asking me where to install the 32 bit version and the default is Program Files (386). But I do not see it there and I don't remember deleting it.

I don't know where any DP log files are stored. Are they in the Windows Log folder?

I also was running Dune successfully with DP 10 (a slightly earlier version) but that was with Windows 7. Now I am using Windows 10.

Thank you. Please let me know if there is any other information that would help.

Best,
Jerry
jsg
Novice

Postby jsg » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:58 pm

Marcin wrote:Are there any log files of the examination? Did you install both 32- and 64-bit versions of Dune 3? What is the exact version number of DP you use?

Hi Marcin,

Does Synapse Audio communicate with developers at MOTU to help resolve this issue? Thanks!

Jerry
jsg
Novice

Postby Marcin » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:31 pm

Yes, we have forwarded all information and a link to this thread to MOTU.
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Postby jsg » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:34 am

Hello Marcin,

I was having multiple issues with DP10.11 so I uninstalled it and installed the previous version, DP 10.01, which resolved the issues I was having. Dune seems to be running fine, but DP 10.01 is still saying that the VST examination fails. Just thought to tell you in case it helps to resolve this.

Here are my system specs:

i7-9700 CPU
Asus Z-390-P motherboard
32 GB memory
Two fast SSD drives
Windows 10 configured for audio and best performance.
MOTU 1248 audio interface with latest drivers

My latency monitor is reporting excellent performance for digital audio with the slowest driver clocking in at .1 milliseconds of latency.

Best,
Jerry
www.jerrygerber.com
jsg
Novice

Postby Richard » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:33 pm

We got a DP 10 license from MOTU and tested, all works fine here, including plugin scanning.

Are you 100% sure you are not confusing 32- and 64-bit? Digital Performer comes as both a 32- and 64-bit host, if you execute the wrong version (i.e. the one in Program Files (x86)), you will get exactly those errors during scanning.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby jsg » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:45 pm

Richard wrote:We got a DP 10 license from MOTU and tested, all works fine here, including plugin scanning.

Are you 100% sure you are not confusing 32- and 64-bit? Digital Performer comes as both a 32- and 64-bit host, if you execute the wrong version (i.e. the one in Program Files (x86)), you will get exactly those errors during scanning.

I uninstalled Dune 3.2 and reinstalled it, making sure I unchecked the 32-bit installation, so only the 64-bit .dll installed. It's still failing the VST examination. I am running Digital Performer 10.01, as 10.11 is causing major problems on my system.

Unless the Dune installation is inadvertently installing the 32-bit version, I only see one file in my 64-bit VST folder, it's Dune.dll.

Hmm, I'd sure like to resolve this..

Thanks,
Jerry
www.jerrygerber.com
jsg
Novice

Postby Richard » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:57 pm

Ok good. What I meant though is that you may be running the 32-bit version of Digital Performer, instead of the 64-bit version. As far as I can tell, they both look identical, so it is easy to launch the wrong version.

After installing DP 10, the 32-bit version is located in "Program Files (x86)" while the 64-bit version resides in just "Program Files".
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby jsg » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:12 pm

Richard wrote:Ok good. What I meant though is that you may be running the 32-bit version of Digital Performer, instead of the 64-bit version. As far as I can tell, they both look identical, so it is easy to launch the wrong version.

After installing DP 10, the 32-bit version is located in "Program Files (x86)" while the 64-bit version resides in just "Program Files".

I am definitely launching the 64-bit version of DP 10.01. I tried to attach a .docx screenshot of the failed VST examination of Dune 3.2 but I get the message that "The extension docx is not allowed".

Best,
Jerry
jsg
Novice

Postby Richard » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:18 am

We get the error message only when trying to load 32-bit plugins into the 64-bit version of Digital Performer, or vice versa. Otherwise it all works fine here.

Note the error message is from Digital Performer, not DUNE 3 - so best would be if MOTU looks into this, as only they know under which condition this message occurs. From our end it is difficult to do anything, in fact impossible if we cannot even reproduce the issue. So we wrote to them again, for now this is all we can do.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby jsg » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:11 pm

Richard wrote:We get the error message only when trying to load 32-bit plugins into the 64-bit version of Digital Performer, or vice versa. Otherwise it all works fine here.

Note the error message is from Digital Performer, not DUNE 3 - so best would be if MOTU looks into this, as only they know under which condition this message occurs. From our end it is difficult to do anything, in fact impossible if we cannot even reproduce the issue. So we wrote to them again, for now this is all we can do.

OK, Thanks a lot for looking into this..

Jerry
jsg
Novice

Return to Bug Reports