Request: Expanded options for creating wavetables

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Request: Expanded options for creating wavetables

Postby goober » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:34 pm

A few ideas here for the wavetable editor:

1. The ability to set morph points in the wavetable.

So say for example you have a wavetable of 16 waveforms, you could select the morph points as waveform #1 and waveform #8, then select the "Morph Wavetable" option from the menu and have it morph from #1-#8 rather than morphing the entire wavetable like it does now.

This would allow for creating more varied wavetables.

2. The ability to import a wavetable and have it attach to the end of the currently loaded wavetable.

So say for example you have a wavetable that is 8 waveforms long, you could then import another wavetable that is 16 waveforms long, and the result would be a wavetable that is 24 waveforms long with the 16 being added to the 8.

Maybe the function could be called "Add Wavetable" or something like that, and as for which format types could be imported, maybe for the sake of simplicity only allow ones in the Dune format to be imported. That way it would serve as another way to create more varied wavetables, for example: Create wavetable A, export it in DUNE format, then create wavetable B and for more variation use the hypothetical "Add Wavetable" option to import wavetable A to the end of wavetable B.

Just a few ideas for a more robust wavetable editor! :mrgreen:
goober
Novice

Re: Request: Expanded options for creating wavetables

Postby Kriminal » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:18 pm

goober wrote:A few ideas here for the wavetable editor:

1. The ability to set morph points in the wavetable.

So say for example you have a wavetable of 16 waveforms, you could select the morph points as waveform #1 and waveform #8, then select the "Morph Wavetable" option from the menu and have it morph from #1-#8 rather than morphing the entire wavetable like it does now.

you can already do that... if WT has 16 wavs, and you only want first 8

set WT position to zero (wav 1)
in mod matrix, set lfo - 50% - wt pos
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby goober » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:40 pm

Kriminal wrote:you can already do that... if WT has 16 wavs, and you only want first 8

I'm talking about wavetable creation in the editor, not the use of a wavetable.

The "Morph Wavetable" option in the editor actually changes the wavetable, morphing it from the first one to the last one. My request is to be able to change only part of a wavetable. That way you would have much more control over wavetable creation, Example:

You have a wavetable with 48 waveforms. Choose waveform #16 and import a new waveform in that slot. Using my idea you could then choose the morph points of #1 and #16, then "Morph Wavetable" to change the wavetable. Then maybe you could import another at #33 and #40 and morph between those, and so on and so forth.

Again, wavetable CREATION in the editor. :cowboy:
goober
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:05 pm

apologies, I missread
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Richard » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:38 am

Thank you for your input! :)

Note as a workaround, you could just stick two WAVs together in any WAV audio editor. This would solve both 1) and 2)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby goober » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:47 pm

Richard wrote:Thank you for your input! :)

Note as a workaround, you could just stick two WAVs together in any WAV audio editor. This would solve both 1) and 2)

No problem! Just thinking out loud, more or less.

Also, not sure you can morph wavetables like my first suggestion in any WAV audio editor, maybe I'm wrong on that though.

I'm new to wavetable editing, and I think there are some third party wavetable editors out there, whatever the case it would be nice to see the editor in Dune 3 expanded on.
goober
Novice

Return to Wishlist