Dune 3 Installer bug

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dune 3 Installer bug

Postby Alperian » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:49 pm

Bought this today (see date of post). This is the dune320win-withnks.zip downloaded file.

I have Windows 10 x64 and noticed that the installer tries to put the 32 bit plugin into:
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins\
before I deselected it.

It also tried to put the 64 bit plugin into:
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins
- which is at least valid but the first path is the one my DAW goes to.

This is easily replicated, verified and fixed.

Great instrument BTW.
Alperian
Novice

Re: Dune 3 Installer bug

Postby Teksonik » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:13 pm

Here's what the installer defaults to here:

D3 installer.png

The VST paths are stored in the Registry under Synapse Audio so will be remembered:

D3 Reg 111920.png

Not everybody uses the same install paths so there is no "correct" path.

There are also reg keys for the default paths.

For 64 bit:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VST

For 32 bit

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VST

You can change them to wherever you want plugins to install by default and installers that look at the Registry will find them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Alperian » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:13 am

Thanks for your reply Teksonik.

Here are my other plugins which don't try to put a 32bit plugin into a 64 bit folder:
Arturia V collection 4-7
Native Instruments Komplete 11-12
Iris2
UVI Falcon
Korg Legacy Collection
Pigments
Serum
Synthmaster ONE and 2
Phonem

This is the first impression that someone gets when they 'meet' a product. I know that a 32bit Plugin will run in the 64 bit folder, but it is sloppy and inelegant. Much better to have the installer check.

Further, DAWs like Ableton don't even run 32 bit plugins now so to induce a 32 bit plugin into that folder can cause it not to be recognised if the customer is not paying attention.

And it is unacceptable to expect to have a new customer trawling through their registry.

Thank you.
Alperian
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:25 pm

Is it really that big of a deal ? In all the years Dune 3 has been released I don't remember seeing anyone else mention this.

How many people who use 64 bit plugins also need the 32 bit plugin ? Didn't you simply uncheck the 32 bit install? Other than for testing I haven't installed a 32 bit plugin in years and stopped using them long long ago.

How many people don't use the Steinberg folders at all ?

I've never installed any of the hundreds of plugins I have owned or tried in 20 years into a Steinberg folder whether it was 32 or 64 bit. So I'd always have to change the path to my custom plugin folder location which takes all of five seconds.
That's why I mentioned the registry. It's possible to change the keys in there to a custom location so installers that check those keys will find them and use them instead of the default Steinberg folders.

So like I said there is no "correct" path.

Again your install folders are saved in the registry under Synapse so you'll never have to worry about it again when installing Dune 3 updates.

What you're mentioning is not a "bug".
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:45 pm

Dune gives you a choice, it doesn't force you to install anywhere, nor do you need to touch the registry

you navigate to your appropriate folders, and install

simplicity personified
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:48 pm

No you don't need to touch the registry. I'm just pointing out that if you use custom plugin folders like many of us do you can change those registry entries so installers that do check for those keys will find them and then you won't have to manually change them although as I said it's a five second task. That's not just for Synapse installers but any installer from any developer.

I believe those registry keys are created the first time you install a VST plugin on a system. Whatever path that is will be remembered. The defaults may be the Steinberg folders but you'd have to look on a computer with a fresh install of Win 10 to see for sure. It may be different on Win 7.

I just changed my reg key since it was set to the Cakewalk folders which is the first software I installed on my internet computer.

Plugin Path.png

Synapse adds reg keys remembering which folders we select so when installing updates the paths never need to be changed again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:21 pm

it was aimed at the OP and his ridiculous claim, not your tip
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Richard » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:59 pm

Alperian wrote:Bought this today (see date of post). This is the dune320win-withnks.zip downloaded file.

I have Windows 10 x64 and noticed that the installer tries to put the 32 bit plugin into:
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins\
before I deselected it.

This is the default path until a "better" one becomes available (i.e. a path entered by the user, which will be memorized for future installations).

Dependent on the Windows system used, this may well be the correct path. I do not see an easy fix here except to let go of 32-bit entirely - which is probably a good idea in the future, to prevent any confusion. When Dune 3 was released, however, there were a couple of 32-bit users around still.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Teksonik » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:26 pm

Maybe split the 32 bit and 64 bit versions into separate installers and see how many people still download the 32 bit version ?

I'd be curious to see how many people still use 32 bit plugins or can only use 32 bit. There will be a point where supporting 32 bit won't make sense especially if it requires significant time to maintain that version.
Teksonik
Godlike

Return to Bug Reports