Multi samples in Dune 3

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Multi samples in Dune 3

Postby goober » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:23 pm

Now that samples are in Dune, would be great to see multi samples, where you could map different samples to different keys.

It would get kind of complicated, with all the layering options in Dune, but it would allow for a TON of flexibility and potentially lead to some glorious and varied patches.

Just a thought. I hope you at least consider it.
goober
Novice

Re: Multi samples in Dune 3

Postby Kriminal » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:05 am

ppl have been asking for that for years, and all they got was a totally pointless single sample osc

apparently that's what the "top sound designers" wanted

so unless you are a "top sound designer" don't bother with feature requests
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby goober » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:47 am

Thought of a way this could be done, to make it unique, and easy to implement (relatively speaking):

Allow each of the Osc 3 sample slots to mapped to a specific range on the keyboard. This could be placed on the sample edit page, so up to 8 samples could be loaded, with some even layered on to others, for example:

Osc 3 - Slot 1 - C4-C4
Osc 3 - Slot 2 - D4-D4
Osc 3 - Slot 3 - D4-D4
Osc 3 - Slot 4 - E4-A4
Osc 3 - Slot 5 - F4-B4
Etc.

So this would expand the options, and potentially give more variety to a patch, while not simply copying the “standard” multi sample piano roll option you see with other vsts so as to keep Dune 3 unique. 8)

Might seem like a limitation compared to a full fledged limitless multi sample with a piano roll and everything, but I would view it as a way to add 8 oscillators across the keyboard in the form of samples....

Come to think of it, the mapping could be implemented for ALL oscillators, so that in addition to layering you could get some split keyboard patches going.

I mainly would like to see that split for samples though. Sample layering doesn’t always work too well, so being able to split them would seem to work a little better.
goober
Novice

Postby goober » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:55 am

And split samples would be great for drum kit patches. 8)

You could add 8 drum samples to the 8 Osc 3 slots, or even layer some if you want (4 single samples, and two layered with 2, etc.), and embellish them with the other Osc 1 and 2 layers.

So yes, adding the ability to map the Osc 3 samples to specific keys would definitely add a lot! 8) 8) 8)

Full fledged drum kit patches in Dune 3! :music:
goober
Novice

Postby Richard » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:29 am

Technically it is possible, we have coded both SF2 and SFZ support in the past. It is mostly a question of concept, aesthetics and workflow.

The hard transition of multisamples is at odds with the concept of a typical synthesizer, which allows seamless transitions from C0 to C9, legato-style play, glide, unison, arpeggiators etc. Using the arpeggiator on a drumkit, for instance, doesn't really make any sense.

So it is somewhat like making a hammer that is also a screwdriver. Of course it is possible and has been done, but it may not be the best solution ;) So we tend more towards making a Rompler that is tailored to (multi-)samples.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby goober » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:42 pm

Richard wrote:The hard transition of multisamples is at odds with the concept of a typical synthesizer

As noted in my thoughts, it wouldn't be hard transition only, it would just allow users to add 8 samples to the 8 Osc 3 slots without HAVING to layer them.

As I say, layering samples can get pretty muddy, so with Dune 3 going beyond 1 sample isn't all that feasible even though you can theoretically add 8. So being able to map the 8 Osc 3 sample slots helps free things up a bit.

Plus, samples don't have to be "hard" transition, though technically speaking they would be in this instance. For example they could be 8 variations of the same sample.

I actually like the idea of limiting it to 8, rather than going full multi sample. It would force people to get creative with the Dune 3 tool set, as opposed to just saying here I'm going to dump a bunch of samples into to Dune to play them (which is typically what multi samples do).
goober
Novice

Postby zyguli » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:23 am

Richard wrote:Technically it is possible, we have coded both SF2 and SFZ support in the past. It is mostly a question of concept, aesthetics and workflow.

The hard transition of multisamples is at odds with the concept of a typical synthesizer, which allows seamless transitions from C0 to C9, legato-style play, glide, unison, arpeggiators etc. Using the arpeggiator on a drumkit, for instance, doesn't really make any sense.

So it is somewhat like making a hammer that is also a screwdriver. Of course it is possible and has been done, but it may not be the best solution ;) So we tend more towards making a Rompler that is tailored to (multi-)samples.

Please, do make a hammer that is also a screwdriver. :)

Apart from multisamples, I would be glad to be able to limit specific layers to a specific keyboard range. This way one could have bass sound on the lower range of the keyboard and polyphonic sound for chords in the higher key range for example.
zyguli
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:42 am

zyguli wrote:
Richard wrote:
Apart from multisamples, I would be glad to be able to limit specific layers to a specific keyboard range. This way one could have bass sound on the lower range of the keyboard and polyphonic sound for chords in the higher key range for example.

everyone has been asking for this for years
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Richard » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:56 pm

zyguli wrote:Please, do make a hammer that is also a screwdriver. :)

haha :)

The point is though, we can make something using parts of Dune 3, something which is however far more tailored to working with multi-samples, keyboard splits etc. We can add a lot of cool stuff while at the same time drop features that are not really needed- like the whole unison concept for instance, which was designed with synth sounds in mind and does not really belong into a ROMpler.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Return to Wishlist