Poly Aftertouch in Obsession

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Poly Aftertouch in Obsession

Postby BoB SwanS » Tue May 11, 2021 4:24 pm

Hello, Firstly I want to thank you for adding Poly aftertouch into Obsession.
I have been a big user of Poly AT since I got my Prophet 12 many years ago.

After doing some tests it seems that not all destinations can be modulated by it.

Are you able to clear up which destinations it can modulate?

I'd love it if I could modulate the LFO speeds or the FX parameters
but I can't, even though they are availeble in the matrix :(
BoB SwanS
Novice

Re: Poly Aftertouch in Obsession

Postby Kriminal » Tue May 11, 2021 7:09 pm

no idea about that, it wasn't in any beta we had, must be a last minute thing....
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby BoB SwanS » Tue May 11, 2021 7:32 pm

Kriminal wrote:no idea about that, it wasn't in any beta we had, must be a last minute thing....

That's fair enough.
I just assumed that the mod matrix would behave like other synths,
So when I choose a source it only shows me the destinations that I can modulate with that source.
I'm too used to using my Prophet 12 and Cypher 2 for stuff like this so i'm sometimes let down
by restricted mod destinations :)
BoB SwanS
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Tue May 11, 2021 7:54 pm

BoB SwanS wrote:I just assumed that the mod matrix would behave like other synths,
So when I choose a source it only shows me the destinations that I can modulate with that source.

i would assume that too, I'd also assume if it doesn't, it's a bug....

over to you Richard...
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Richard » Tue May 11, 2021 8:45 pm

BoB SwanS wrote:Hello, Firstly I want to thank you for adding Poly aftertouch into Obsession.

After doing some tests it seems that not all destinations can be modulated by it.

Yes, it works on all voice parameters, so mostly what is on the bottom half of the front panel: Oscillator settings, filter cutoff, filter resonance, filter envelope amount, and envelope settings.

Poly Aftertouch will not work properly on destinations such as effect parameters or LFOs, since those are global destinations. The reverb for instance cannot have a short and a long reverb time simultaneously if several keys are pressed with different amounts of pressure applied. Using the modulation wheel or regular aftertouch as a modulation source would be more suitable for those type of destinations.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby BoB SwanS » Wed May 12, 2021 10:03 am

Richard wrote:
BoB SwanS wrote:Hello, Firstly I want to thank you for adding Poly aftertouch into Obsession.

Yes, it works on all voice parameters, so mostly what is on the bottom half of the front panel: Oscillator settings, filter cutoff, filter resonance, filter envelope amount, and envelope settings.

Poly Aftertouch will not work properly on destinations such as effect parameters or LFOs, since those are global destinations. The reverb for instance cannot have a short and a long reverb time simultaneously if several keys are pressed with different amounts of pressure applied. Using the modulation wheel or regular aftertouch as a modulation source would be more suitable for those type of destinations.

Thanks for clearing that up, It's a real shame the LFO is global :(
BoB SwanS
Novice

Postby Richard » Wed May 12, 2021 10:23 am

That is the case in pretty much all analog synths, hence emulations like Obsession work the same.

Note in DUNE 3 you can set each LFO to global or polyphonic mode. Since we also plan to add poly pressure in a future update, here you could have different LFO rates per voice :)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby BoB SwanS » Wed May 12, 2021 11:37 am

Richard wrote:That is the case in pretty much all analog synths, hence emulations like Obsession work the same.

Note in DUNE 3 you can set each LFO to global or polyphonic mode. Since we also plan to add poly pressure in a future update, here you could have different LFO rates per voice :)

I already assumed that was the reasoning for the global LFO in Obsession :)
I also assumed that when you added something that wasn't on the original unit (Poly Aftertouch)
that you might have also added something else that wasn't on the original unit (Per Voice LFO\FX)
Don't get me wrong, It's still a very welcome addition even if it feels limited to me.
But that's because I'm used to programming a Prophet 12 :lol:

Dune 3 is the only one of your synths that I don't own at this point, Maybe I will check out the update when it arrives.

Thanks again for all the info
BoB SwanS
Novice

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)