Dune: more FX routing options

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dune: more FX routing options

Postby pier » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:31 pm

Hi Richard!

I'm starting to work on a library for Dune and have stumbled upon this limitation when working on cinematic layered sounds.

For example, say I have a Braaam on FX1 layered on top of a kick that goes into FX2. Now I'd like to apply a compressor to everything... which AFAIK is not possible.

One quick solution could be adding a slot for a single effect in the master output like a compressor or limiter.

Ideally I'd love to have an FX3 global effects bus so that there could be multiple routing options similar to the routing options in the filters. Eg: FX1 > FX2 > FX3, or FX1 + FX2 in parallel into FX3, etc. Alas I imagine this would be pretty complex to implement.

Pier
pier
Novice

Re: Dune: more FX routing options

Postby Richard » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:13 pm

Hi Pier,

this is what the Master Brickwall Limiter is designed for, which you can enable in the Master section on the top right. So the idea is that in your example you can compress both FX layers if you wish, then Dune 3 mixes them and any excess peaks that may still occur due to summing of the two FX layers are handled by the Master Limiter.

Richard
Richard
Synapse Audio

Re: Dune: more FX routing options

Postby pier » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:50 am

Thanks for your fast response!

The limiter is great for taming rogue peaks, although as a sound design tool we have no way of controlling how it behaves (attack, decay, threshold, etc).

Hopefully in a future version of Dune you'll consider making the FX routing more flexible.

Pier
pier
Novice

Return to Wishlist