Dune 3.5 mouse wheel scroll?

Post everything related to Synapse VST and Audio Unit plugins here.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dune 3.5 mouse wheel scroll?

Postby MattLeschuck » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:05 pm

In previous versions I was able to mouse wheel scroll through the wavetables. As of 3.5 I can't anymore, which makes it quite tedious going through them. Any info on this Synapse?

Toggle arrows similar to DS Thorn, Europa and others would be a very welcome addition.

Maybe im missing something?
MattLeschuck
Novice

Re: Dune 3.5 mouse wheel scroll?

Postby Teksonik » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:28 pm

I am able to scroll forward and backward in the WT window here. Is that what you mean? What OS are you using? Does it only affect Reason?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby MattLeschuck » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:45 pm

Teksonik wrote:I am able to scroll forward and backward in the WT window here. Is that what you mean? What OS are you using? Does it only affect Reason?

That is what i mean. Im no longer able to since updating to 3.5. Both in Reason and Logic. Nothing else has changed on my end. Computer is a 2018 Mac Mini on Catalina.
MattLeschuck
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:52 pm

Oh ok I'm on Windows so that might be the difference.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Richard » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:40 am

Apple's Magic Mouse is the reason. It is highly sensitive, and can easily change settings accidentally. There were quite a few users who experienced unwanted changes via mouse wheel in our plugins. So on the Mac, we turned off the mouse wheel for controls where it could potentially cause issues.

Furthermore the Magic Mouse was apparently designed to smoothly scroll large views, not to select an item from a list. This is a major difference compared to your typical Windows mouse.

Anyway, a solution could be that we re-enable the mouse wheel for this particular control, or alternatively add some keyboard shortcuts for walking through the list on Macs.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby MattLeschuck » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:49 am

Richard wrote:Apple's Magic Mouse is the reason. It is highly sensitive, and can easily change settings accidentally. There were quite a few users who experienced unwanted changes via mouse wheel in our plugins. So on the Mac, we turned off the mouse wheel for controls where it could potentially cause issues.

Furthermore the Magic Mouse was apparently designed to smoothly scroll large views, not to select an item from a list. This is a major difference compared to your typical Windows mouse.

Anyway, a solution could be that we re-enable the mouse wheel for this particular control, or alternatively add some keyboard shortcuts for walking through the list on Macs.

I appreciate the reply Richard. Something similar to the toggle arrows in the edit window could work. As mentioned earlier Thorn and Europa's approach make it very convenient. I could see that fitting in the Dune GUI.

Maybe even a setting that you can engage (the scroll wheel that is). Id imagine a good portion of Mac users are using non mac mouses. Myself included.

Anyways, thanks for the consideration :)
MattLeschuck
Novice

Postby Jouni » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:46 pm

I've experienced the same issue with some webpages, but it's boils mostly down to little bit too straight forward implementation of scroll detection. The mac scrollers are far more sensitive and the update interval is faster and the range is wider, so the scroll delta can be used to detect/calculate the velocity (scroll direction in both XY-axis) which should be used instead of just scrolling on "data received".
Jouni
Godlike

Postby MattLeschuck » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:41 pm

It appears this is back functioning in the latest update 3.5.2. Thanks Richard!
MattLeschuck
Novice

Postby Richard » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:36 pm

Ah yeah right, this also made it into 3.512 - was easy enough to revert mw support for this specific control. :)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Return to Plugin Support (VST/AU)