DUNE - DAW/Graphics lag using samples in Reaper [SOLVED]

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

DUNE - DAW/Graphics lag using samples in Reaper [SOLVED]

Postby New Loops » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:27 pm

In dune (latest), when using samples, I sometimes (often) get lag in Reaper. Makes it really difficult to use. Is this a known issue?

Dune vst 3, reaper x 64. All latest updates.
New Loops
Novice

Re: DUNE - DAW/Graphics lag using samples

Postby Marcin » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:34 pm

What version of OS (Win 11?) and which skin size do you use?
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Postby Teksonik » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:48 pm

New Loops wrote:Iwhen using samples, I sometimes (often) get lag in Reaper.

What you you mean by lag and when does it occur ? Do you mean a visual lag? On what?

I have the latest DUNE 3 VST 3 loaded in Reaper and I don't experience any lag when using samples but you have to be more specific.

Win 10 64 Bit 20H2. Large skin at 1920x1080 monitor resolution.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby New Loops » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:34 am

Marcin wrote:What version of OS (Win 11?) and which skin size do you use?

WIN 11 × 64. Using normal size skin or large, doesn't matter.

LAG = I move a knob with mouse, 4 seconds later the knob moves. But it also affects the meters in Reaper, they freeze for a couple of seconds. It's like my graphics “freeze” for a few seconds when I move something on the GUI. Only seems to happen when I use the wav sample (osc 3). It is quite repeatable as well.

I am going to try some settings in Reaper, and I'm going to test it in Ableton Live too.
New Loops
Novice

Postby New Loops » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:52 am

Here's some more info.

There is no lag in Ableton Live for the same patch.
I've tried different skins and sizes.
I've tried changing settings in Reaper bet still get this lag.
The patch I am playing uses 2 audio files, one is 15 seconds, the other is over 20 seconds long. Could this be the issue?
New Loops
Novice

Postby New Loops » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:05 am

OK, I've worked it out. The longer the sample, the more lag I get (up to about 2 seconds). With short samples a couple of seconds long, there isn't any problem.

I can reproduce this from an INIT patch by loading different samples with different lengths and then moving random knobs.

Maybe someone could try longer samples?
New Loops
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:10 pm

I just tried with a sample that is 1 minute 52 seconds long which is a crazy length but comes in just under the 10 meg limit.

I do get some lag in Reaper but less than a second. There is no lag in Cakewalk by Bandlab or FL Studio.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby New Loops » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:06 pm

Teksonik wrote:I just tried with a sample that is 1 minute 52 seconds long which is a crazy length but comes in just under the 10 meg limit.

I do get some lag in Reaper but less than a second. There is no lag in Cakewalk by Bandlab or FL Studio.

So that confirms it then. Thanks.
New Loops
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:24 pm

Well I don't know if it confirms anything. At this point it's not possible to say if the issue lies with Reaper or DUNE 3.

I also tested in Studio One Artist and Orion so that's four out of five DAWs here where the issue does not occur so the finger does tend to point at Reaper.

For the record it occurs in Reaper in both the VST 2 and 3 versions of D3.

I've tried several different setting changes inside Reaper but nothing has made a difference. You might want to bring the issue up at the Reaper forums as well. Perhaps they'll be able to provide some insight.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby New Loops » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:31 pm

Teksonik wrote:Well I don't know if it confirms anything. At this point it's not possible to say if the issue lies with Reaper or DUNE 3.

I also tested in Studio One Artist and Orion so that's four out of five DAWs here where the issue does not occur so the finger does tend to point at Reaper.

For the record it occurs in Reaper in both the VST 2 and 3 versions of D3.

I've tried several different setting changes inside Reaper but nothing has made a difference. You might want to bring the issue up at the Reaper forums as well. Perhaps they'll be able to provide some insight.

Yes, well, thanks for checking that out. Maybe my lag/freeze is bigger than yours (about 1 or 2 seconds), but at least you confirmed there is something going on here. It does seem to be just Dune though. I wonder if Richard has any idea?
New Loops
Novice

Postby Marcin » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:08 pm

WIN 11 × 64

So that could explain the lags, at least that is the potential reason. To me about 40% of everything under Win 11 has lags and freezes, while Win 10 was working extremely well on the same computer. It seems the Win 11 is still kind of untrusted OS (at least about UI stability).

Do you have any chance to check the Win7, 8, or 10 on same or similar computer?
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Postby Teksonik » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:24 pm

For the record Marcin I am on Win 10 (20H2 in this system) and do get a lag but only in Reaper. It's not a very long lag but knobs are jumpy usually after turning the second knob or slider.

Here is the test wav I'm using. It comes in just under 10 megs and has a duration of about 1 minute 50 seconds.

Test Wav

-----
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Marcin » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:51 pm

Ok, this wave has some lags under Reaper, but indeed, so far I'm finding small lags only under Reaper. We will take a closer look into the performance. :)
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Postby New Loops » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:13 pm

Marcin wrote:Ok, this wave has some lags under Reaper, but indeed, so far I'm finding small lags only under Reaper. We will take a closer look into the performance. :)

Great, thanks! btw, small lag for you maybe, but I have some patches that lag so bad it makes it nearly impossible to use/edit, especially numbers in the MM.

Looking forward to a fix. :)
New Loops
Novice

Postby New Loops » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:15 pm

Marcin wrote:
WIN 11 × 64

So that could explain the lags, at least that is the potential reason. To me about 40% of everything under Win 11 has lags and freezes, while Win 10 was working extremely well on the same computer. It seems the Win 11 is still kind of untrusted OS (at least about UI stability).

Do you have any chance to check the Win7, 8, or 10 on same or similar computer?

SORRY!! An absolute fool, I am! :lol:

I have Windows 10. Not 11.
New Loops
Novice

Next

Return to Bug Reports