Modulation Enhancements

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Modulation Enhancements

Postby FalcoreM » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:48 pm

What if MSEG 1 actually contained 4 unique MSEGs within it that could be switched via MIDI CC, Random, or the step sequencer? Just set MSEG 1 to filter cutoff, then modulate between the 4 different MSEGs on the fly via your mod source of choice.
If there's a way to do this already, please let me know. thx!

And I'll sneak in another wish: Would be great to have a Slew Limiter and Quantizer in Dune.
best,
M.
FalcoreM
Novice

Re: Modulation Enhancements

Postby Richard » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:15 pm

One simple way to accomplish something like this is would be to open the MSEG editor and use the arrow keys to change between different presets (which can be your own custom presets made for this purpose).

In general it depends though on what exactly you want to accomplish soundwise. There is usually a way to realize such ideas within DUNE 3 :) :music:
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby FalcoreM » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:07 pm

That's a good tip, I'll try it out! Thx! :music:
FalcoreM
Novice

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:39 pm

FalcoreM wrote:What if MSEG 1 actually contained 4 unique MSEGs within it that could be switched via MIDI CC, Random, or the step sequencer? Just set MSEG 1 to filter cutoff, then modulate between the 4 different MSEGs on the fly via your mod source of choice.

And I'll sneak in another wish: Would be great to have a Slew Limiter and Quantizer in Dune.
best,
M.

Out of interest, what would you want to use a slew limiter and quantizer for?
Mark

Postby FalcoreM » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:07 pm

Mark wrote:
FalcoreM wrote:What if MSEG 1 actually contained 4 unique MSEGs within it that could be switched via MIDI CC, Random, or the step sequencer? Just set MSEG 1 to filter cutoff, then modulate between the 4 different MSEGs on the fly via your mod source of choice.

best,
M.

Out of interest, what would you want to use a slew limiter and quantizer for?

Slew is great for rounding the edges off of sharp mod sources, and quantizer is great for doing the opposite.
FalcoreM
Novice

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:55 pm

These are things that you could do with wavetables or Osc3 sample import. I've posted on the Synapse Audio Community Facebook about using Osc3 sample import for custom LFOs for instance.

In terms of wavetables, in the wavetable editor, you can insert single values per slot from -1 to 1 to define the shape that you want and use the interpolation knob to set the amount of quantisation/slew. You then sweep through the wavetable using LFOs or MSEGs etc. I think I've posted here already about that. I'll see if I can find the post. You're basically using the wavetable as a CV source in modular parlance. You use the wavetable oscillator as a modulation source. Using this approach you can also use the wavetable as an alternative sequencer.
Mark

Postby FalcoreM » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:45 pm

Thanks for the info! I never considered using the wavetable as LFO. I'll dig further into the manual.

I guess my initial problem was, I made an intricate MSEG with sharp movements going to the filter cutoff. Then I wanted WT Pos to follow it but the pattern I made with MSEG1 felt too sharp and abrupt for WT Pos. This scenario made me wish for a slew limiter. I could copy MSEG 1 to MSEG 2 and manually smooth it out, but that would be quite time consuming. Is there a way to smooth out the MSEGs?
FalcoreM
Novice

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:15 pm

You won't find anything about this use of wavetables in the manual, it's my own invention!

In terms of smoothing out the MSEGs, my only suggestion is to use lots of shorter segments in the region(s) that you want to smooth out. You can also 'bend' a segment by dragging it up/down.
Mark

Return to Wishlist