Another Render Problem

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Another Render Problem

Postby Dungeon Studio » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:32 pm

Oh Rich and Jouni - somethings really screwy with Stream for sure. Just tried a new song this morning. 7 tracks consisting of DR (x4) using Hard Rock Kit preset, 6 samplers, Real Guitar, and Ethnosphere rompler. Effects are only 2 Tap Delay, Simple Reverb, and Bass Compressor. I set the song to stream at 24bit to be on the safe side, and tried with and without Multi Proc. Engine and Outs On/Off.
The song streams well until this break in the tune. The 'bassoon' works the song back in with long sustained notes. But on the rendered .WAV, it gets apbruptly cut again soon as DR and other samplers kick back in? It quickly resumes itself on the next following note, and is fine throughout the rest of the song?

Again, plays well enough in Orion - but streaming cuts this one damn note on a sampler? :confused:
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Another Render Problem

Postby Dungeon Studio » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:24 pm

Tried 32bit and anything I could shake a stick at to no avail? Anyhow, here's an audio example of the latest trouble. I think it will be pretty self evident that the bassoon should carry through when the drums and all kick back in, and is quite a disturbing 'stop' when it doesn't...

http://www.box.net/shared/833dl8kopk
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Another Render Problem

Postby bones » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:25 pm

I've been streaming a dozen or more times a day for the last week or so, as we refine our masters, and I haven't had a single problem. You must be cursed or stupid or something.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Another Render Problem

Postby Dungeon Studio » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:51 pm

It seems to be with the sampler, and just one particular instance is all? If I put in 10 samplers and 10 things got messed up, that I could understand. And it plays fine in Orion without any inkling of trouble? That's the most frustrating. Get to .WAV and 'laaaaaaaaa - choke!' :(

Maybe because I'm making better music than you Bones....? ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Another Render Problem

Postby bones » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 pm

What's the chances of that? We've been workin' on this sucker for four freakin' years. I assume you've tried different quality settings for the Sampler? e.g. I never bother with "Render all Samplers in highest quality" when I render, because I can't hear a difference when I do.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Another Render Problem

Postby Dungeon Studio » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:10 am

4 years? You think you're Kraftwerk now? (Couldn't resist that one! :superlol: )
And yes, tried all the different settings and all. And just finished reinstalling all my ASIO and audio drivers too - but to no avail. This one note in this one place still gets cut on streaming? :( The previous song seemed to come out okay on 24bit at least. But this latest one, no matter what I do, I can't seem to shake this bum note? And simply a mono note at that - no big fancy 9 note chord or anything?

Quite worrysome. :rainy:
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Another Render Problem

Postby bones » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:29 am

How big is the sample in question? Can you email it to me?
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Another Render Problem

Postby Dungeon Studio » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:59 am

It's fairly big. One of these big GM .SF2's - but they're really good samples! I sent Rich and Jouni the link to download them, as I'm on DSL with no server space.
I believe this Bassoon thing is from it? Let me check in on that, and zero in on the correct link for you to get it from. Not a big sample per say on it's own, but a fairly large .SF2 it's coming from.

Gotta hit the hay, but will get the goods here tomorrow for you. Thanks mate. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Another Render Problem

Postby Dungeon Studio » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:41 pm

Okay, thought I almost had it. Went with another Bassoon sample, streamed it, and the bridge part came through okay. 7 measures after that - choke! :( The original bassoon I used actually didn't come from a overly big .SF2 either, maybe 8 or 9 instruments. But I can't seem to locate it now? (See Wishlist) The other bassoon I opted for this morning comes from a BIG .sf2 - but one of the best out there IMO.

Download it here;
http://www.sf2midi.com/soundfonts/file- ... -2580.html

So it remains perplexing if the sampler can't handle overly large .SF2's reliably, or if RG2 or DR et al is affecting it in someway? And odd that it goes out in less intense parts of the song as well? Unnerving behavoir in streaming to say the least. :(
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Another Render Problem

Postby Dungeon Studio » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:22 pm

Oh man, I think you're right Bones - I'm definately cursed! Tried rendering at 48k/24bit, even though my audio box can't handle it. I reconverted it back down in Wavelab, and all seemed good and nice... Till the french accordian off Ehtnosphere (rompler) started to play.

http://www.box.net/shared/5mr8jl35m2

Hot off the press from Orion, no mastering or anything done in WaveLab.
Absolutely god awful! If I was doing Aphex Twin glitch stuff...maybe? :rolleyes:
Last edited by Dungeon Studio on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Another Render Problem

Postby Dungeon Studio » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:15 pm

Think I've narrowed the problem down possibly. Still not good for Orion if so...
It looks like it's because I was 'partially quantising' the bassoon track. Certain area's I wanted 'tight', and others loose. In dragging the notes off slightly at this break portion - which was 'tight', it has improved streaming immensly. :)

So it looks to my mind that one might not be able to 'have their cake and eat it too'? Either a pattern or track has to be fully quantised, or left loosely? Mind you, I'm in 480ppq - and didn't try this in 960 yet. But still, one shouldn't have to fuss around sliding notes and changing ppq settings - especially if it's a tight mono instrument from a sampler? :confused:
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Return to Bug Reports