Lowcut Filter on mixer conclusion

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby draft_730 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:02 pm

As Bones pointed out :

bones wrote: Having one there all the time, whether you need it or not, is stupid. In fact, a far better solution would be one extra knob in the EQ section to adjust the Low Shelf's cutoff frequency

Just one more knob to adjust the frequency would not hurt the mixer strip too much
and at the same time give alot of satisfaction to alot of users including me ;)

cheers and tnx bones for working oit the best solution once again
draft_730
Regular

Postby T-Breaks » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:32 pm

yep, that's a good solution.
Maybe add this also: if you rightclick on that knob you can select -12/-18/-24dB per decade filter slope.

please implement in V8 :)
Last edited by T-Breaks on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T-Breaks
Regular

Postby Icaro » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:45 pm

Not a bad way to go about it at all :)
Icaro
Professional

Postby bones » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:01 am

Except that you can do that already with the Low Mid, which goes all the way down to 45Hz. I'm not sure what it's fixed bandwidth is, but it's likely to cover you when you set it that low. On those occasions when you need to go deeper, you can then add a Low Cut Filter to an Insert. It really is a complete non-issue and certainly not worth adding yet another knob for.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby voidloss » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:39 am

I use low cuts in EQ all the time, but I just insert a low cut filter on the channel.
It would be nice to be able to control the low band cut off freq, but as the low cut filter is a separate plugin already in Orion I hardly see the need to feck with the code and gui just to add one to the mixer.
voidloss
Regular

Postby T-Breaks » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:27 pm

voidloss wrote:I use low cuts in EQ all the time, but I just insert a low cut filter on the channel.

that's what most do at the moment. It occupies an fx insert slot for no reason and just shows that the low shelf filter in the mixer is not flexible enough.
Last edited by T-Breaks on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T-Breaks
Regular

Postby voidloss » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:53 pm

T-Breaks wrote:
voidloss wrote:I use low cuts in EQ all the time, but I just insert a low cut filter on the channel.

that's what most do at the moment. It occupies an fx insert slot for no reason and just shows that the low shelf filter in the mixer is not flexible enough.

Well when I say all the time, it`s generally when I am mixing other peoples music.
For my own music I find the low shelf very effective and more natural than a low cut.

My philosophy is generally that you EQ before you even touch the EQ. You EQ by picking the right sounds, in the right octave, as you go along, so that (mostly) you don`t need to use lots of EQ cut or gain to butcher the sound into the mix, as it already fits pretty well. Good EQ work is subtle.

So really if you are producing properly, or maybe I should say, efficiently, or musically, then the low shelf should be just right for the job

It would be nice to have a high shelf and low shelf on the main mixer, but I wouldn`t say it was a vital addition. A coup;le of clicks and you can plug in the filter of your choice and if you are precious on inserts the FX holders are there too (although I think it would be nice to have 4 inserts per channel).
voidloss
Regular

Postby bones » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:59 pm

T-Breaks wrote:that's what most do at the moment. It occupies an fx insert slot for no reason and just shows that the low shelf filter in the mixer is not flexible enough.

No, what it shows is that you idiots have no idea what you are doing. I use maybe two Low-Cut filter effects on an average mix so why on Earth would I want to have to deal with it on every channel?
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby T-Breaks » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:15 am

Because that's the way I mix. I don't care what you do. If you don't use low cut or low shelf filters...fine for you.
But I use a lot of sampled drum hits and they all need individual treatment.
Last edited by T-Breaks on Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
T-Breaks
Regular

Postby matthy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:06 pm

good idea but even better a knob like this
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/08/2 ... r-djm-800/

high cut and low cut in 1 knob this gives even more options
Did You Know you can download my albums on 1albums.com :cool: and you can promote your own there to ;)
http://www.myspace.com/djmatthy
matthy
Apprentice

Postby bones » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:59 am

T-Breaks wrote:Because that's the way I mix. I don't care what you do. If you don't use low cut or low shelf filters...fine for you.

The difference, of course, is that I am not whining like a school-girl at bedtime, I am using what is there to maximum effect. If you really want to make life more difficult for yourself, feel free but I don;t see any reason why I should be fucked around simply because you don't know what you are doing.
But I use a lot of sampled drum hits and they all need individual treatment.

So pre-treat them. It makes no sense at all to take totally raw sounds and fit every little aspect of them into what you are doing. If it did, engineers would be out of work. The idea should be to use the best possible sounds, as voidloss pointed out, to minimise the amount of work you need to do to get a good mix. It's no coincidence that two of the most experienced artists here have a similar outlook on this stuff, it's a lesson learned from experience that keeping the process as simple as you can makes it possible to get the best results.
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby draft_730 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:35 am

bones wrote:No, what it shows is that you idiots have no idea what you are doing. I use maybe two Low-Cut filter effects on an average mix so why on Earth would I want to have to deal with it on every channel?

bones wrote:The difference, of course, is that I am not whining like a school-girl at bedtime, I am using what is there to maximum effect. If you really want to make life more difficult for yourself, feel free but I don;t see any reason why I should be fucked around simply because you don't know what you are doing.
[

The only one that is whining in here, is u bones . . .
I dont see a reason to be offensive like that, maybe someone should give u some shiatsu....or just help u with all the work,... u come across very stressed. this is a disscussion an we are all out of kindergarden age, arent we?

to the topic:

alot of times i just want to make sure that the sound has no frequencies down there
so the best way to make sure of this is the low cut filter
maybe iam not a pro like u, but i like what iam doing and me and others would like to have the low cut filter on the mixer

thats the way it is, and all we do is asking (with all respect)
I dont expect it to become true in V8 at all, but i just want to point it out, for later improfement, and perfecting this programm, since i think this is one more step that could be taken
Last edited by draft_730 on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
draft_730
Regular

Postby chrisqhq » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:00 am

I like the idea, too.
http://soundcloud.com/chris-qhq/moonshine

Orion 8.5, ESI ESU 1808, Waldorf Blofeld, Virus Classic Rack, DSI Evolver, Waldorf Micro Q, Roland MKS 50, Yamaha DX 100, Roland U220
chrisqhq
Novice

Postby voidloss » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:00 am

draft_730 wrote:
bones wrote:No, what it shows is that you idiots have no idea what you are doing. I use maybe two Low-Cut filter effects on an average mix so why on Earth would I want to have to deal with it on every channel?

bones wrote:The difference, of course, is that I am not whining like a school-girl at bedtime, I am using what is there to maximum effect. If you really want to make life more difficult for yourself, feel free but I don;t see any reason why I should be fucked around simply because you don't know what you are doing.
[

The only one that is whining in here, is u bones . . .
I dont see a reason to be offensive like that, maybe someone should give u some shiatsu....or just help u with all the work,... u come across very stressed. this is a disscussion an we are all out of kindergarden age, arent we?

to the topic:

alot of times i just want to make sure that the sound has no frequencies down there
so the best way to make sure of this is the low cut filter
maybe iam not a pro like u, but i like what iam doing and me and others would like to have the low cut filter on the mixer

thats the way it is, and all we do is asking (with all respect)
I dont expect it to become true in V8 at all, but i just want to point it out, for later improfement, and perfecting this programm, since i think this is one more step that could be taken

Bones is always insultingly blunt, if you take it as male menopause, then it shouldn`t worry you too much.

I think something to learn as a producer though, that might help you, yes, a low cut is a very efficient way of cutting the the frequencies "down there" as you say.

However, doing so isn`t necessarily a good thing. You already are working with subtractive EQ theory, I am assuming, as you are talking about cutting frequencies.
Now why do you use subtractive EQ?
The reason is that it sounds more natural to the human ear.

If you read further into the theory you`ll see that being good at it, is all about subtlety. If you are cutting the feck out of sounds (with low cut filters)you are rendering them unnatural, and those heavy sharp cuts you keep applying (if you use them a lot) will eventualy make your mixes sound sharp, brittle, unnatural and lacking depth.

A low cut filter is great for when a sound is really really wrong or for special circumstances, but it shouldn`t be something you use all the time.

More natural EQ curves with small gain amounts end up making a mix sound far more natural, go into any big studio and watch an engineer at work on something reasonably complex and you`ll see they behave in a very subtle way with the EQ`s BUT the instruments (assuming it is a band) have been recorded to take account for this. The sounds have been pre-scultped using the right mics to give the right characteristics to the sound, and the mic placement also helps.

So as an electronic musician you should be doing this also, but more mentally rather tan physically, when choosing your sounds for the mix you should already be thinking "hmmm, ok I have the low end and the top end of this tune sitting nicely, I need something that fits in the mid range and doesn`t have too many low or high characteristics", and then choose your sound appropriatley, and use subtle EQ to then work it into the mix.

If your working like this
"hmmm, I`ve got the low end and the top end of this tune sitting nicely, I need something else now. Hmmm yeah I really like THIS sound, all I have to do now is cut the shit out of it with loads of EQ so I can pry it into the mix" then you may want to change your philosophy if you want your mixes to sound natural and full
voidloss
Regular

Postby Eklectro » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:30 am

thx for these relevant explanation. All impressions I had about lowcut filter and "naturality" make sense now ^^.

concerning natural curves, do you mean gaussian's, shelvin's and other thypical curves found in the industry's EQ ?

thx also for the first joke at the begining that made me ROFL ! :DDD
Orion 8, Live 8Le, Cubase 4 LE, Cantana, APC40, UC16, Fostex PM1MKII, Q9550, 4G0, 1,5T, 22"+15"

http://soundcloud.com/eklectro/i-like-xylo-29-03-2011
Eklectro
Apprentice

Next

Return to Wishlist