v8 improved limiter please

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby suneel » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:44 pm

The current v7 platinum limiter does not have look ahead option. The limiter only works well for notes between starting and ending notes. So the limiter is fully operational only in between these notes. Clipping will happen momentarily for the first and last note or any successive notes that are spaced say 4 bars or more. With a look ahead option perhaps it can prepare the limiter to limit signals from such notes.
suneel
Guru

Postby suneel » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:30 pm

i think i figured this one out.....the limiter depends a lot on the material you are feeding into it. i did comparisons with other limiters and while platinum limiter is not the most transparent, it is great for basses. you can get a nice pump with the platinum limiter. i compared it with
voxengo elephant, TLs-PocketLimiter, izotope Ozone 4 limiter, cyrsonic spectraphyLE, sonalksis maxlimit

Ozone 4 limiter > spectraphyLE are the best overall. But the V7 platinum limiter has its own character which beefs up the bass, that other limiters i have compared don't even come close. good stuff.
suneel
Guru

Postby Eklectro » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:01 pm

maybe with using the compressor with look ahead before the limiter you could avoid this result
Orion 8, Live 8Le, Cubase 4 LE, Cantana, APC40, UC16, Fostex PM1MKII, Q9550, 4G0, 1,5T, 22"+15"

http://soundcloud.com/eklectro/i-like-xylo-29-03-2011
Eklectro
Apprentice

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:50 pm

With all the limiters that exist both free and payware as you pointed out, should Rich bother? I'd say OP's Limiter is for begginers. Yet, some users here have done some incredible things with it already.

Would you try on 4 pairs of shoe's at different stores and then demand Payless be as good as Florsheims? How does that old saying go - 'If the shoe fits...'
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby matthy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:44 pm

I alway's use mda's limiter meaby try that one i don't really like orions limiter :confused:
Did You Know you can download my albums on 1albums.com :cool: and you can promote your own there to ;)
http://www.myspace.com/djmatthy
matthy
Apprentice

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:45 pm

Lord knows what Rich has up his sleeve for OP8 though. But I think he's more akin to synths and feature upgrades at this point. But who knows? For all this 909 and KickDrum being bantied about - maybe a retooled limiter to make it all that more impressive as well?

But I think most of us know what we like now limiter wise, and new ones are coming out tomorrow and the day after as well from some amateur or pro shop.
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby bones » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:48 pm

In any event, the compressor has look-ahead, so you can always use that instead of the limiter if you really need to.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:10 am

I must say, OP's comp's are really impressive. Limiter just a glorifed punch box. But I've really grown to like and use OP's comp's quite a lot.
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby suneel » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:11 am

Eklectro wrote:maybe with using the compressor with look ahead before the limiter you could avoid this result
doesn't give the desired effect. gets too squashy.
suneel
Guru

Postby suneel » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:13 am

bones wrote:In any event, the compressor has look-ahead, so you can always use that instead of the limiter if you really need to.
a compressor is not a limiter, they are modeled differently. A lmiter is not just a compressor with hi-ratios, there is more to it.
suneel
Guru

Postby Richard » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:36 am

The old compressor will be ditched in O8 (ie, it'll stay there, but for backwards compatibility only). O8 will sport a highly sophisticated new virtual analog compressor, which sounds much better, is easier to use, yet allows much more flexibility. Like hardware compressors, it does not only support sidechaining, but also allows you to plug in effects into both the audio signal as well as the control signal path. That way, any lookahead is possible, among many other things. Factor in the Band splitter and the degree of freedom you have there is just sick, way beyond what hardware could ever accomplish. But even without all that fancy stuff the basic sound is way superior to the old compressor. Additionally it comes with professional instantaneous RMS metering, showing not just input level but gain reduction as well- always handy to know what is going on. :)

Back to the original question, I suppose you have a limiter primarily for the master output in mind? I might develop something dedicated for that as well, even though the new compressor is perfectly up to that task, variety is always good. Limiters work differently, particularly the new breed of digital limiters, which are not to be confused with hardware compressors/limiters. I don't think it is as important though for the master, given the many dedicated plugins available.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:14 pm

Holy snappers Rich, you're out to take on all the competion with this OP8? ;) You scared me when you said about ditching the comp. And hopefully you're right about this new one you have in mind. You're still keeping the Bass Comp 'as is' - I use that extensively now.

But keep in mind, many users still resort to audio editors for overall mastering. Though some do everything on OP solely as a mixed/mastered singular output. And with all the focus and science involved, from amateurs to pro's - I still say it's wrong to do. Sure, get the mix as good as possible in OP. But any pro studio or label that funds the music will have a shit if the Master is caked with limiters and comps and EQ. Compensating for the compensated just isn't worth the effort in the big leagues. You'd be best not to waste the time Rich. Those that want, can... Those that don't, DON'T! ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby bones » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:30 pm

suneel wrote:
bones wrote:In any event, the compressor has look-ahead, so you can always use that instead of the limiter if you really need to.
a compressor is not a limiter, they are modeled differently. A lmiter is not just a compressor with hi-ratios, there is more to it.

A compressor can function as a limiter, which is all that matters. If a software compressor cannot, then there is a fault in it's modelling.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Richard » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:53 am

There's both analog and digital hardware compressors which use two separate units in the same box, one for compression and one for limiting. For example the TC Finalizer.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Dungeon Studio » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:26 am

But wouldn't the dual models be more for singular instruments or small groups of likeness, IE; Bass, Drums, Guitar, Vocal, etc. For the few studio's I've been in, that's all I've ever seen the dual boxes go on. Mastering has always been dedicated units and/or software.
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Next

Return to Wishlist