Ability to trigger patterns via MIDI

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby mattox » Fri May 14, 2010 4:36 pm

Hey all,

My wish is to be able to assign patterns (a1 a2 ect) to my midi controller and trigger them when the key/button on my controller is pressed.

Will this be something I'll be able to do with V8?

I think this will add some very cool possibilities for playing live. I'm going to be investing in a monome (http://monome.org/) and I could actually see myself setting up an entire set inside of 1 project and triggering things in real time.

Matt
mattox
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Fri May 14, 2010 5:37 pm

mattox wrote:Will this be something I'll be able to do with V8?

Absolutely have no idea.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Shadx » Fri May 14, 2010 11:35 pm

I think if you used Bome's Midi Translator and/orMidiOx, you could map your keys/buttons to the keyboard numpad, which you can control your live sets with.
If you don't know what they are, please search the forum:)
Shadx
Apprentice

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sat May 15, 2010 12:42 am

I do think I saw Rich say this was going to be in V8 Mattox. And be more 'control surface' friendly if I recall. That monome thing's the weirdest thing I've seen yet - give me a keyboard or guitar any day! But yes, I think Rich is trying to make OP and things like USB mixers and maybe this monome thing work well together.
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby bones » Sat May 15, 2010 2:02 am

AFAIK it is not. Live sets can be made to work really well if you put the time and effort into setting it up properly. Use the z key to merge patterns into more usable blocks and away you go.
I really can't think how it could be implemented in a flexible way, allowing you to both change patterns on the fly and use a MIDI controller to play instruments. It seems to me it would require a completely separate mode for each, or maybe it could be set up so that a specific MIDI channel or device changed patterns while another played notes.
Whatever, I don't see this as being any sort of priority with Live Sets in place and perfectly suited to this kind of thing. In fact, it is far better suited as it changes all your patterns with one key press.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sat May 15, 2010 2:38 am

This was the link I was thinking of...
http://forum.synapse-audio.com/view ... hp?id=7780

So I think I was getting confused there with the CC and transport controls vs. the pattern triggering Mattox is after. But many seem to be using this Bomes device well enough.

I'm with you Bones, I'd rather have things nicely mapped out and coordinated and playable. These guys playing synth notes from Akai MPC pads, or doing free form jams with something like that monome thing... It's like people paying to watch some one play the game Simon on stage and make music while they're at it. Better Mattox than me is all I can say. ;)
Last edited by Dungeon Studio on Sat May 15, 2010 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby mattox » Sat May 15, 2010 5:05 am

Cheers for the comments. Setting it up on a specific midi channel would be the most effective way of doing it if it was ever implemented, so you could still be playing live via your keyboard controller.

Live sets seem to basically be similar to Abletons scenes, but in a more limited and non-visual way.

Is there any way to have more than nine? Also on a laptop how do I trigger live sets if there is no numberpad on the keyboard?

This is just a simple example where it comes in handy:

Say I'm mid-way through a song, but want to try a different drum pattern, I could press a button on the midi controller and start that pattern, press the button assigned to the current playing drum pattern and turn it off.

Quick and no need to jump onto the laptop to trigger with the mouse.

The monome is just a visual representation of patterns (that’s how I’d use it) every button on the grid is assigned to a pattern, when you press a button the pattern starts playing and that button on the monome lights up so you know exactly what’s playing at all times.

I'm not in too much of a rush for this kinda thing, I just think it will open up massive possibilities for live performance improvisation. I've got my first live set using Orion on the 4th of June, I’ll be sure to report back how it goes :)

P.S - There are a lot of people that are really getting pissed off with ableton and how buggy Live is, something like this could really make Orion interesting for those people.
Last edited by mattox on Sat May 15, 2010 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
mattox
Regular

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sat May 15, 2010 2:36 pm

Good question about the number selection on a laptop. I think the top row numbers should suffice. But if you're using F12 to trigger/play beat boxes and synths as well, that could be a conundrum? Maybe a USB numeric keypad attached? But I think you'd still be in the same boat. Good question.

I know I was talked into 'going live' and how cool it would be to get me on Ableton and 'jam' freely. First off, I hate the stage to begin with. Secondly, I got Ableton - and didn't make my life any easier. Whereas with OP, I was using it with my MIDI gear and producing on it within a hour of installing it. My mates shot OP down merely because it looked 'old' (I always stick to Classic skin). But when I showed them how easy it was to pull up things and play them, and then these Live Sets that were there - they cut me some slack. But could OP do this 'dubstep' and all... Like Bones says, if it's organized and set up well beforehand, I think so. And I'm not sure if it'd be any easier on Ableton et al either?
I will say for Ableton, it does have unique trigger and interconnection features that maybe a little better than OP. So something like Smart Electronix effects will work better in Ableton 'realtime' than OP. But for me to play chords AND control SmEx FX simultaneously, no way! But driving patterns and controlling - possibly? I just couldn't for the life of me get 'patterns' to be friendly and accessible in Ableton. Yet, many others do, and do it well. I think I'd still be better off with OP and just play through a delay or something. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby JavierRubio » Sat May 15, 2010 4:36 pm

+1 for the requested feature!
I assume you'd be sending control change data from the monome to orion. That's what I do with my bcr (to orion or live).
With all due respect, live-sets in orion is just a sketch of a feature right now.
Steven, if you need some help with your ableton I'll be happy to help. I've managed to make with it some weird stuff like playing synths with this little pad: http://comocrearhistorias.com/?p=13 while controlling some of the parameters of the sound with a bcr2000 and triggering the diferent parts of the song and changing rythm patterns with a painted computer keyboard.
JavierRubio
Regular

Postby mattox » Sat May 15, 2010 4:50 pm

Yep from the Monome to Orion.

I've been doing a bit of testing / thinking and I think I shouldn’t have too many issues pulling off the set. I'm going to use a mixture of live sets and the sampler. I'm lucky that it’s a duo and I have a decent amount of time to load my next song.

But I think ultimately, if we were able to assign patterns to be triggered via midi; you'd have a very powerful way for people to perform live.
mattox
Regular

Postby mattox » Sat May 15, 2010 4:51 pm

Oh also, Javier are you using Orion to play live? If so would be great to find out how you pull it off.
mattox
Regular

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sat May 15, 2010 5:05 pm

What about a VST something like this NI Maschine mattox? I'm not up on what VST's can and can't do in OP interface wise. But maybe Maschine or the like overrides or get's around it somehow? It kinda looks like your monome device already. Maybe that might be a way to go?

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... /maschine/
Last edited by Dungeon Studio on Sat May 15, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby JavierRubio » Sat May 15, 2010 5:07 pm

I haven't figured it yet. I'm using ableton since I don't want to stop the sound stream and everything is fully customizable like computer keys and ccs to trigger whatever pattern, scene, effect on/off, mutes, tempo and so on.
So yes ccs to change patterns or even set them to play or stop would be nice. Also It would be nice the ability in live-sets to let all the patterns play until the end after hitting the next number in the pad and then change to whatever pattern is in the chosen set.
JavierRubio
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sat May 15, 2010 7:41 pm

So, basically, another "DJ request".

What I've seen before, many laptops have a substitute for numerical keyboard via the Function key (Fn, between CTRL and Windows key), and numericals on M, J, K, L, U, I, O, 7, 8 and 9.
Last edited by HYPNAGOGIA on Sat May 15, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby JavierRubio » Sat May 15, 2010 8:33 pm

I'm not a DJ and never been, but call it as you like. I'd say a "flexibility request". Or "finish-a-half-implemented-feature" request.
JavierRubio
Regular

Next

Return to Wishlist