Ability to trigger patterns via MIDI

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sat May 15, 2010 8:40 pm

Haven't called you a DJ, it was a matter of speach, hence the quote marks, because basically this is that.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby JavierRubio » Sat May 15, 2010 10:34 pm

So triggering virtual buttons on the screen with real buttons is a DJ thing?
JavierRubio
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sat May 15, 2010 11:39 pm

If you take into the account DJs with laptops as well, then yes. :D
Last edited by HYPNAGOGIA on Sat May 15, 2010 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby mattox » Sun May 16, 2010 5:57 am

I can be that mate, but I think there are good possibilities for remixing, recording live takes into orion, and even being able to create patterns / record without even need to be clutching your mouse all the time!
mattox
Regular

Postby bones » Sun May 16, 2010 10:11 am

What's wrong with using your mouse? It is a beautifully designed interface and works incredibly well in virtually any situation. A big grid of backlit buttons is certainly no improvement. Either way you are not going to provide any level of visual stimulation to your audience.
mattox wrote:Also on a laptop how do I trigger live sets if there is no numberpad on the keyboard?

Every laptop uses a Function key plus other keys instead of the numeral pad. It works on other applications, I can't say whether or not it will work on Orion but I see know reason why it wouldn't.
Say I'm mid-way through a song, but want to try a different drum pattern

Should you work out that stuff during rehearsal?
JavierRubio wrote:So triggering virtual buttons on the screen with real buttons is a DJ thing?

It's certainly not live eprfromance, now is it? DJ's are there to entertain a crowd, as opposed to a live performance, where the crowd comes to see the artist. So it comes down to whether the crowd or the artist decides what goes on. If you let the crowd decide, you're a DJ. It's a simple distinction.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby mattox » Sun May 16, 2010 10:16 am

I didnt even think of the function key, I'll give it a shot.

I've played my set a bunch of times out and about, the rehersed way, just feel its time to try something a little more nutty.

It's certainly not live eprfromance, now is it? DJ's are there to entertain a crowd, as opposed to a live performance, where the crowd comes to see the artist. So it comes down to whether the crowd or the artist decides what goes on. If you let the crowd decide, you're a DJ. It's a simple distinction.

Depends on the kind of music you're performing, right? If people come to see an experimental sound gig that is built up from scratch (for some reason there are quite a few of those here in perth). You're going to have a rehersed framework but being able to improvise on the fly just gives you a little more refined real-time control.
Last edited by mattox on Sun May 16, 2010 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
mattox
Regular

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sun May 16, 2010 8:17 pm

There's also 'Deckadance' if you're really daring... ;)

http://deckadance.image-line.com/docume ... rview.html

I love what they say at the bottom. :rofl:
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby suecae_sounds » Sun May 16, 2010 9:13 pm

Mattox. What you are after is kind of the thing that Live has going for it? I know other hosts such as Sonar and Renoise has gotten their own matrix viewss, it is kind of exiting to see this creative innovative forward-thinking.

This suggestion in specific is not something I am personally after, but if I would want to perform semi-live with Orion it would be a very nice thing indeed.
Last edited by suecae_sounds on Sun May 16, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suecae_sounds
Apprentice

Postby Mark » Mon May 17, 2010 12:00 am

What about using Styles to store your patterns and using program change messages to switch between them on the fly?
Mark

Postby bones » Mon May 17, 2010 1:51 am

That could definitely work for this kind of thing.

mattox wrote:Depends on the kind of music you're performing, right? If people come to see an experimental sound gig that is built up from scratch (for some reason there are quite a few of those here in perth). You're going to have a rehersed framework but being able to improvise on the fly just gives you a little more refined real-time control.

I've seen plenty of bands like that, The Makers of the Dead Travel Fast and Scattered Order and a bunch of bands like that, and the reality is that they almost always end up doing the same thing every time because, at the end of the day, they find the best way of doing it in rehearsal and stick to that. The differences from gig to gig are minor, at best.
I would definitely want my money back if I went to see a band who were just making it up on the spot.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby mattox » Mon May 17, 2010 2:44 am

What about using Styles to store your patterns and using program change messages to switch between them on the fly?

How would I go about doing this?

You're right bones, they do end up sticking to the rehearsed framework most of the time.

Mattox. What you are after is kind of the thing that Live has going for it? I know other hosts such as Sonar and Renoise has gotten their own matrix viewss, it is kind of exiting to see this creative innovative forward-thinking.

This suggestion in specific is not something I am personally after, but if I would want to perform semi-live with Orion it would be a very nice thing indeed.

I'm guessing in a way yes its similar to Live (though I don't have too much experience using live). Thought all I'm asking is to be able to trigger patterns via midi rather than any kind of visual interface.

DS - I had a look at Mashine and for around $1000 here in Aus it's just too pricey, looks very cool tho!
mattox
Regular

Postby Dungeon Studio » Mon May 17, 2010 3:28 am

About the same price as a Roland SP-808 back in my day, but think it could be even better. But as a production machine, the SP-808 was the best thing Roland EVER did IMHO. So if Maschine's even a little better, I'd still say it'd be a good investment.

Or I could sell you my SP-808 for $500 so I can get Maschine for half price then. :rofl:
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby Mark » Mon May 17, 2010 7:57 am

mattox wrote:

How would I go about doing this?

If you mean styles then make a pattern and use the same dialog as saving a preset (prs) but change the extension at the bottom with the pull down menu to sty. It will save the current settings of your generator/vst plus the pattern. You can then flick through the different styles using program change messages from your midi controller. To do that you'll have to rtfm. You'll also need to know whether you want to work in easy or advanced midi mode. A tip for working with styles in this scenario - make a folder that will be at the top of the folder structure e.g. Aardvark styles since PC#1 corresponds to the first prs or sty within your folder structure for that particular generator. This way you can have 128 different styles that you can flick through without having to go to your laptop's keyboard. This way seems more intuitive to me for live work.

If you use advanced midi mode you can set different generators to respond to the same midi channel and hence the same program change messages so that you can change more than one style at a time.
Mark

Postby Mark » Mon May 17, 2010 7:59 am

BTW, I would call this a solution, not a workaround ;)
Mark

Postby mattox » Mon May 17, 2010 8:42 am

Sounds interesting, am I able to assign 5 styles from a generator to 5 individual keys on a midi keyboard this way?
mattox
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Wishlist