FR: Sampler Improvements

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby Richard » Thu May 27, 2010 5:53 pm

bones wrote:No. I doubt Wasp will change at all in v8. Rich has kind of rolled all the things he was looking at for Wasp into this new VSTi and the impression I get is that Wasp will remain unchanged. I hope I'm wrong, but at this stage that is how it looks to me.

Iirc when I started modifying the WASP you were the first one to object. ;) It doesn't matter though, essentially nothing that exists can ever be changed, because there's always backwards compatibility issues.

The only practical solution is to keep the old instrument exactly as it is, with all its bugs and limitations, and add a completely new one on top. With very few exceptions, that is exactly what I did with Orion 8. You open an old project, the old instrument or effect is loaded and works exactly as previously- you make a new one, you get to choose what to use. Of course the old stuff is less exposed to avoid cluttering the menus with old stuff, but it's all there when it's needed.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby opi » Thu May 27, 2010 9:41 pm

Clever
I like it
opi
Regular

Postby neuchatel » Fri May 28, 2010 5:43 pm

New Idea:

When transposing the whole project it's freakin annyoing that your sampler chops and fx transpose with all the rest when its not supposed to. So what I would suggest is somekind of sampler mode choice where the alternatives is to assign the sampler as a drum/fx-module or simply a note module as it is now, so when you transpose and check all generators except drums the drum module samplers won't be affected. I've been wanting this feature for a very long time.
neuchatel
Novice

Postby El_Capitan » Fri May 28, 2010 7:19 pm

Richard wrote:
bones wrote:No. I doubt Wasp will change at all in v8. Rich has kind of rolled all the things he was looking at for Wasp into this new VSTi and the impression I get is that Wasp will remain unchanged. I hope I'm wrong, but at this stage that is how it looks to me.

Iirc when I started modifying the WASP you were the first one to object. ;) It doesn't matter though, essentially nothing that exists can ever be changed, because there's always backwards compatibility issues.

The only practical solution is to keep the old instrument exactly as it is, with all its bugs and limitations, and add a completely new one on top. With very few exceptions, that is exactly what I did with Orion 8. You open an old project, the old instrument or effect is loaded and works exactly as previously- you make a new one, you get to choose what to use. Of course the old stuff is less exposed to avoid cluttering the menus with old stuff, but it's all there when it's needed.

Thats a bit sad though.. you're just polishing the proverbial 'turd' this way... so to speak.

Since you were planning on making V8 work alongside V7, why not resolve the issues with the Instruments/Effects and skip the backwards compatibility with v7 and earlier? Clean house that is..
El_Capitan
Regular

Postby Mark » Fri May 28, 2010 7:20 pm

It's a very good turd though, no? :D
Mark

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Fri May 28, 2010 7:21 pm

Because a lot of people don't want to have to have 2 versions installed that they have to switch between, me included. You'd hear a lot of bug reports a la "my older songs don't work".
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby El_Capitan » Fri May 28, 2010 7:28 pm

hehehe Well I didn't mean it to be rude..

Though, for the record, I don't use any of the instruments that come with Orion.. I see the approach to create different instruments for different purposes.. I prefer the all-in-one swiss army approach though. I do use the Drumrack and XR-909 though.. quite a lot. And the monobass a little.

I'd rather we have one or two giant mega-synths than 10 micro ones.. at least personally. And I'm not a fan of the sonic qualities of the current built-in synths.

At least thats me.. but if Rich is having trouble innovating for fear of breaking backwards compatibility.. well we're at a crossroads right now with v8 where it could potentially break (minorly) compatibility with the bus signals.. why not go all the way and resolve or develop the app the way he wants without fear of compatibility issues? At least for v8..
El_Capitan
Regular

Previous

Return to Wishlist