Sampler upgrade

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Sampler upgrade

Postby petersky » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:17 am

Hi guys

I'm not sure if this already been requested, but just in case. These two options would be very useful.

Two simple things in slice sampler tool.

1.ADSR per SLICE
2.Filter per SLICE

It could have to look like this for example:
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6677 ... slicer.jpg
petersky
Regular

Sampler upgrade

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:13 pm

I think how it could look wouldn't pose any problem. What could be a bit problematic is storing and recalling these settings for all 100 possible slices.

What I think would be good to have is some kind of Warp control, where you can shift the entire audio around.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Sampler upgrade

Postby petersky » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:55 pm

Have someone really need a 100 slices ? Even if - you have zoom tool.
Come on, slice in Orion`s sampler is a really great and useful, i discovered that is more effective than time stretching in most cases. But the main problem right now is you can`t perfectly set the marker and not to hear at the beginning or end of the slice a crackle or pop. Attack and release will be enough - i think it is not really difficult to implement.

Also filters would be great too, not to mention that these filters could have an LFO (one straight bass line can be sliced and wobbling at the different rates) Beside this imagine a loop with the too bright snares. Use LP on that snares and it`s done.
petersky
Regular

Sampler upgrade

Postby petersky » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:19 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:storing and recalling these settings for all 100 possible slices..

it could work exactly as it is now with pitch, pan or level. click on the slice and you have its own parameters to tweak.
petersky
Regular

Sampler upgrade

Postby Mark » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:22 pm

What about using velocity control on each note to affect the filter setting?
Mark

Sampler upgrade

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:35 pm

petersky wrote:Have someone really need a 100 slices ?

Probably not, but you still must have the same option for all 100 possible slices, no matter how much of it you'll use.

But the main problem right now is you can`t perfectly set the marker and not to hear at the beginning or end of the slice a crackle or pop.

Yes, there's been complaints about that before, if I recall. Agree, that can pose a big problem. Pops and crackles are never good, unless it's intentional for some weird creative purposes.

it could work exactly as it is now with pitch, pan or level. click on the slice and you have its own parameters to tweak.

Fair enough. Never really observed how that works. To be honest, I used the slicer tool on maybe two or three occasions, and that's just for try-outs.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Sampler upgrade

Postby petersky » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:01 pm

Mark wrote:What about using velocity control on each note to affect the filter setting?

Indeed, there is an alternative like you said, but not much intuitive for me. As the matter of fact, filters is not a priority - but just useful thing.

Don`t get me wrong guys, I do not write posts with no sense and if i do not have anything to say i dont say it. I agree that not everyone needs to use the Slice tool, but I use it very often and today I noticed that there is few things i need in this tool to be almost perfect for me and maybe for someone else.

couple days ago i just try Renoise, because i was creating sounds on trackers many years ago and I thought that maybe I still wanted...and I must admit that I do not want to go back to trackers. Since i have Orion there is no other DAW which gives me very fast possibility to create my bits. But Renoise have one advantage. You can do with the samples whatever you want in a very easy way. just thoughts...
petersky
Regular

Sampler upgrade

Postby suecae_sounds » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:25 pm

ADSR would mean a sollution to the 'clicks and pops' problem.
suecae_sounds
Apprentice

Sampler upgrade

Postby petersky » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:02 pm

suecae_sounds wrote:ADSR would mean a sollution to the 'clicks and pops' problem.

exactly
petersky
Regular

Sampler upgrade

Postby Kriminal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:25 pm

the only solution is to render each slice and load it back into the sampler

there is no way in the world anyone would slice a sound into 100 pieces and want an ADSR for each slice, and a filter for each slice

most users prob slice beats, and you prob get between 4 and 64 slices, and even 8 or 16 means a lot of parameters to keep track of in one Sampler

its just not practical to do it that way.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Sampler upgrade

Postby ufo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:18 pm

I agree with that Peter - the slices already store pitch and pan data, dont see why attack and release could not be added.

Not so sure how difficult the filter would be to implement tho........
As Krim points out - I too render problematic bits out and edit start and end points and EQ the tops off where needed then drop it back in.
---=u f o=--- /Radiation Mutant / Snee-Nee-Iq
ufo
Elite Producer

Sampler upgrade

Postby bones » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:30 pm

Release would be useless, as it would just allow you to hear the next slice. What you need is attack and decay, with sustain and release set to zero. Most hardware samplers have per-sample envelopes and filters but, TBH, it is a massive PITA, because it forces you to set them all the time, instead of just having global settings.
Personally, I don't see the point. I might use the Grooveslicer to try things out but if I decide to go with the results, I will always take the loop to SoundForge and cut it up properly, where I have a much better set of tools to do anything I want to them.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Sampler upgrade

Postby V/M » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:15 am

petersky wrote:But the main problem right now is you can`t perfectly set the marker and not to hear at the beginning or end of the slice a crackle or pop. Attack and release will be enough

There is already a global ADSR on the sampler that takes care of this problem in most cases that I've run into.
For your purposes, though.. I think Attack Hold and Decay would be more effective than Attack and Release.
V/M
Professional

Sampler upgrade

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:04 am

petersky wrote:
Mark wrote:What about using velocity control on each note to affect the filter setting?

Indeed, there is an alternative like you said, but not much intuitive for me. As the matter of fact, filters is not a priority - but just useful thing.

Don`t get me wrong guys, I do not write posts with no sense and if i do not have anything to say i dont say it. I agree that not everyone needs to use the Slice tool, but I use it very often and today I noticed that there is few things i need in this tool to be almost perfect for me and maybe for someone else.

couple days ago i just try Renoise, because i was creating sounds on trackers many years ago and I thought that maybe I still wanted...and I must admit that I do not want to go back to trackers. Since i have Orion there is no other DAW which gives me very fast possibility to create my bits. But Renoise have one advantage. You can do with the samples whatever you want in a very easy way. just thoughts...

There's no problem asking questions or for features, just expect to get some replies back that don't match your expectations ;)
Mark

Sampler upgrade

Postby ECdj79 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:10 am

Can you give some news about the new sampler of orion? you made changes? thanks
ECdj79

Next

Return to Wishlist