Vocal Mixing and Mastering??

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby NonsenseKid » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:36 pm

I just bought Orion and its a sweet program. but I just to get a few tips on vocal mixing and mastering a song in Orion.

How do you bring out the fullness of your vocals and get a nice clean mix of the entire song??

Any tips??
Orion 7.6 + FL Studio 9 XXL
NonsenseKid
Novice

Postby Mark » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:14 pm

I suggest you go and have a look at kvraudio.com for answers to questions like that. It's a much bigger forum and therefore you're more likely to find what you're looking for there. Just be careful of the sharks :lol:
Mark

Postby bones » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:37 am

You do those things the same way you do them anywhere. The most important thing with vocals is getting them down as best you can in the first place, so use a good mic [hire one if you need to] and find a good acoustic space to record in. No background noise is probably the most important thing, as even distant traffic will come through when you start processing. Depending on the style and content, you may want to use some light compression on the way in but it is usually just as easy in a digital world to bring it in clean and work on it from there. On stage it is important to get it all as good as you can in one take, but in the studio I normally do at least 4 or 5 good takes, then cut them up and use the absolute best bits from each [or maybe layer them up].

For a good, clean mix, use the fewest number of effects possible. Dynamics effects are OK but try not to use things like chorus too much, as they might make one thing sound good but they can muddy up a mix. Same with reverb and delay - try and get away with just one of each, as send effects, and only use more for very specific things, like a big, short reverb on your snare or something.

The most important thing for getting a clean mix is EQ. Use it to carve out a niche for each part, so that you minimise one thing getting in the way of another. Compression can also keep things under control but if you pick your sounds well, you shouldn't need to use it too much. Also go through your synth patches and make sure you don't have anything with unnecessarily long release times. 95% of our sounds have no release at all, yet 95% of synth presets have a lot of release because it makes for a richer sound when you are soloing an instrument to find a preset to work from. While you're at it, go through and turn off all the on-board effects, then just turn back on the ones a sound really, really needs. If you use good synths, like the ones that come with Orion, you probably won't need many effects at all. If you look at anything on any of our albums, the vocals will almost always account for 50% or more of the effects used, because vocals are a raw sound that requires more work, where a synth or sampler sound can be tailored to work better in other ways.

Mostly though, it is just a matter of putting in the effort required. I would never consider a song finished and ready for an album unless I had spent 3 or 4 months working on it, which would be 80 to 100 hours of hard, boring, methodical work [I hate it], after the initial excitement had died away. I certainly wouldn't judge it until I was completely and utterly sick of hearing it. It is too easy to get caught up in the initial excitement of a great new song but you need to be 100% objective to finish it properly and there are no shortcuts.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Eklectro » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:57 pm

+1
good voice, goog mic, need nice ears, and work & learn :)

be brave :)
Orion 8, Live 8Le, Cubase 4 LE, Cantana, APC40, UC16, Fostex PM1MKII, Q9550, 4G0, 1,5T, 22"+15"

http://soundcloud.com/eklectro/i-like-xylo-29-03-2011
Eklectro
Apprentice

Postby ash477 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:07 pm

I'll second the comments here. I route my vocals to a bus which has a compressor on insert #1. I also add an effect or two to one of the Returns. Then I can apply it by turning the knob in the mixer. I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the sound will go out (send) to the return effect, and after it returns... it will go out to the bus (for compression). A couple notes
1. if its an effect that you want 100% of it applied – like Compression – put it on a Bus.
2. if the effect should apply in varying amounts – like Reverb – put it on a Return (Send).

Personally, I would like to know how some groups widen the vocals to a sick level, such as 2;05 min in this song (which I hate, but it illustrates the widening). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVarVery ... re=channel
Chorus, reverb alone won't do that, I have a feeling its some type of effect combination - using chorus & delay... (I can get a bit close to it using killerDelay on an insert in the mixer, but not quite)
Last edited by ash477 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ash477
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:06 pm

NonsenseKid wrote:
How do you bring out the fullness of your vocals and get a nice clean mix of the entire song??

Any tips??

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn ... isplay.htm
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby ash477 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:08 pm

Krim that is a very interesting chart, showing how you want to fill the frequency spectrum (presumably using EQ). I wish it had examples so you can hear the difference between "Boomy", "Honk" and "Tiny" etc.

Another challenge is delays - trying to get that 'fullness' without having things sound like you're singing in a bathroom / echo chamber. There are some interesting videos on youtube i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjA9MO9JfFQ .
Also check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1eA6X7Nz0Y

HOWEVER, I suspect there are easier ways to detune, apply delay, chorus etc to create cool vocal sounds without creating 3 vocal tracks as these links show. However I have used this trick before and for idiots, it works well :)
Last edited by ash477 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ash477
Regular

Return to Tips'n'tricks