Wishlist 2012 Discussion (Sticky)

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Wishlist 2012 DISCUSSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby mprojekt » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:56 pm

michl wrote:getting MCU support for controlling the mixer with some thing like the cheap Korg NanoKontrol2 would be a great add on!

I have an Akai MPK25 works ok with that 12 knobs to fiddle with :D :D :D
mprojekt
Regular

Re: Wishlist 2012 Discussion

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:06 am

badshah wrote:Feature Must be add
1.Automation Track
2.Mixer Selection (that helps the reduce of CPU uses. This feature have FL)
3.Need More Effect and Synth that help to make high quality sound.
4.Piano Roll
5.must be add a audio editor tool

1. Been asked, but unlikely to happen the way people see it.
2. What's that, and how does selecting mixer reduces CPU usage? Makes no sense. Plus, who would want Orion to become FL-like anyway? :?
3. Sure, never enough of that, but surely with the 3rd-party plugins you can expand your collection vastly. And with over 40 effects, Orion has enough of good quality plugins for every task.
4. Orion has a piano roll :?: Had it since its conception, I believe.
5. Well, basics are there, we'll see if and how they might expand.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby DivinEviL616 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:21 am

badshah wrote:Greet Topic.
In my normal view i found that some feature must be add in Orion. That helps, to create more Hard Electro, Trance, club ...... mixes.

Feature Must be add
1.Automation Track
4.Piano Roll

i am always use Orion. I am already check Fl, Ableton live and Reason but Orion GUI system is great. my favorite DAW is Orion.
Best of luck.

Welcome to the discussion, please don't take anything I am about to say as dismissal of your suggestions, but I will be going through them and commenting on them. I feel like I'd be well qualified being a newbie who's just recently asked the same question or discovered for myself why Orion's current set up is the way it is or that your suggestion is one that i support.

1 - Automation Track:
I assume you mean to imply that automation should be handled in the spline method like that employed by FL. I agree this would a nice addition, but I personally see a lot of merit in the current way automation is handled granted it has it's drawbacks but once you learn it, as I am told I haven't gotten a total grasp on this just yet, it is just as good as the suggested method. I think both could possibly be temporarily employed in a couple of later versions, even if only to see which method users tend towards when given the option.

2 - Mixer Selection
&
3 - More effects and synths to help produce a better quality sound:
I want to say I'm always in favor of lower CPU usage no matter how many superfast processors with x# of cores in them, but the mixer is fine the way it is and for me was actually the remedy to my wanting a better more advanced stereo imaging effect. I mentioned it in another thread and Bones told me that if I just used what was available and some well set up reverb I'd realize that I was an idiot (he didn't say i was an idiot but when I took his suggestion I felt like one). I moved my work focus from the mixing desk to the mastering desk and after about 5 min's I had the best freaking stereo image I have been able to produce TO DATE and I have tried a ton of options based on standards set for me by Reason and what Orion produced redefined those standards. Which leads me to address number three...

I'm getting the impression that you haven't fully explored all of Orion's built in's modules. There are plenty of Synth's and Effects and will produce as high of quality a sound as your production skills will allow. The issue some people have with this is probably to do with the fact that nearly all of the highend plugin instruments produce a 'dry' signal that already sounds Mastered...so you tend to have less attention and effort dedicated to sound achievement making perfectly fine plugins and built in modules seem unappealing.

As far as the FL style mixing set up. I haven't figured it out, but I know some people that the set up works for. I watch my friend work on this part of his tracks like I'm watching some voodoo man heal the sick or conjure up rain; but he gets the results he wants. In Orion if you remember to keep everything tidy and prep your master channels as you build the track you shouldn't have many problems, at least this is what works for me.

4 - Piano Roll:
Yeah, too sensitive of a subject right now for too vague of a question, but I will say that you should make your suggestion more specific as the what part or function you'd like to improve or change.

5 - Must add a audio editor tool:
Honestly, I don't think this will happen and I think that decision was made long ago based on a thread I read somewhere. Personally I'd like to see this happen as well because I'd like to do more live instrument (ie guitar and bass) tracking once I get my computer to behave like a good boy! On the brighter side you can point Orion into the direction of you external audio editor and if you use something like Wavosaur running them simultaneously shouldn't impact CPU usage too much, seeing as that is a concern you mentioned earlier.

Hope these help...and remember I was not intending to brush off or discredit any of your suggestions, simply relaying information and presenting my opinions on the topics as well.

Josh
DivinEviL616
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:29 am

badshah wrote:
Feature Must be add
1.Automation Track
4.Piano Roll

Kriminal wrote: Give some thogut to your wishes and try to explain whay they would be a good addition to Orion

well done on the explaining part...piano roll...what does that even mean? :roll:
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Re: Wishlist 2012 Discussion (Sticky)

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:17 pm

Just a warning that I will start editing posts in the actual wishlist thread (not this thread) to remove people's life stories as to why they chanced upon a particular wish. If you want to explain why you wish something then post the wish in that thread and explain why here. The only reason for doing this is to make it easier and quicker for Richard to go through.
Mark

Postby musicale » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:16 am

Mark wrote:Just a warning that I will start editing posts in the actual wishlist thread (not this thread) to remove people's life stories as to why they chanced upon a particular wish. If you want to explain why you wish something then post the wish in that thread and explain why here. The only reason for doing this is to make it easier and quicker for Richard to go through.

Gotcha! I didn't see this discussion, sorry.

I'm move the entire post here leaving just the wishes there.

"Well... v8.5 did it! I'm back to Orion and I'm really enjoy the whole thing. Live was an overkill for me not using much audio.
So everything here is more than I need to make great tracks. But if I had to have a wish or two (and I have form my way of working...) it would be two things:

1- Pianoroll zoom to the mouse pointer with a more gradual in/out speed. It may not be crucial in short patterns but in long ones it makes a big difference for fast work which is Orion trademark :wink:

2- Having in the Pianoroll (again) a traditional "Bars time line" on top of the "Pattern Steps time line" or switch them with an option. I know we work in Pattern steps, but to have a better reference with the Play List and for long pattern as the new Play List recording feature now allows it. It would be very handy indeed.

That's it. :mrgreen: "
Quality over nonsense! ditto: ORION over the rest! ;)
musicale
Novice

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:26 pm

knechtodawas wrote:
badshah wrote:Greet Topic.
Need More Effect and Synth that help to make high quality sound.

The opposite would be a better approach: Creating an Orion version with only few synths and effects for less money. So people who are not satisfied with the internal "plugin" can go for third party VSTs without having to pay for something they don't use.
Mark

Postby Lance » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:52 pm

@ knechtodawas

Orion is officially called to Orion Studio. Rich liked to refer to it as a software studio, SSW.

It's like Reason with VST support.

In a studio you have sound generating and processing units. Orion aims to be natively useable if the user wish. And really can be used that way, you can make great quality release ready electronic music with Orion's native stuff without touching any VST.

Considering the variety, quality and efficiency of the native instruments and effects, it's a very good value for money. There are great freebies (in the VST world), but I don't think you can collect the same equivalent stuff for the same amount of money. Some effects are very high quality and cannot have free VST equivalent, but expensive one.
Lance
Guru

Postby Teksonik » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:39 pm

Maybe two versions of Orion. One with some the instruments and effects stripped out for those who have collected an arsenal of third party plugins and a full version of Orion with all the bells and whistles?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby iam7zark7 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:24 am

traumatek wrote:someone mentioned this 'I wish the sampler had "fit"'

a) Fitting loops to the drumtrack has a bug and doesnt work properly (as posted in bugs), so fixing that would be nice
b) yes, a 'fit loop' would be a great extension of the 'recreate in piano roll'

Which bug is that?
I searched for it and only found the "loop" bug.
I use the drumtrack for fitting loops all of the time and have never, ever used the "loop" button.
I'm not saying that there isn't a bug with "loop". There may well be. I don't know because I don't use it.
I am saying that the "loop" feature is not necessary to fit and loop samples in the drumrack.

-7zark7
iam7zark7
Apprentice

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:30 am

bones wrote:This is stupid. Having the wishlist separate from the discussion makes no sense. This is just a bunch of random garbage that means nothing.

Most things are stupid according to you. One of my reasons for separating these threads is your propensity to dilute out the salient points that might be of use to Richard.

Anyway, the threads have been going for over two weeks and you're only the second person to complain.
Mark

Postby bones » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:26 pm

Teksonik wrote:Without the proper Software your computer setup can make no more music than a brick. a DAW is a combination of hardware designed to record and playback sound and the software designed to record, manipulate, playback and (optionally)generate sound...

Yes, that's what I said.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby bones » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:34 pm

So we have three pages of wishes and about half-a-dozen posts here actually discussing them. I assume that means no-one gives a toss about any of the ideas in the wishlist? Reading through that thread, that is certainly how I'd rate most of them. Seriously, this idea of separating the topics for discussion from the discussion itself is a massive failure. What might work much better is one thread per wish, maybe in a new forum section - "Wishlist 2012" or something.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Kriminal » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:40 pm

the idea of the thread was actually an experiment, to see if users can actually give a good account for the stuff they 'wish' for, and as i suspected, most cannot

see a wish for "piano roll" ....WTF does that mean?

asking for stuff without explaining why you want it just shows how much thought goes into the wishes....
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby bones » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:49 pm

To be fair, it seems that particular user struggles with English, which is why I didn't press him for more detail.
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

PreviousNext

Return to Wishlist